[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Model 70 Error codes

readdm@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) (09/01/90)

I've got a friend who just bought an IBM PS/2 Model 70, and the silly thing
fails the POST somewhere during the RAM check, exiting with an error code
#162.

Does anybody know what this error code is telling us?  He can't find the
error-list anywhere in the manuals...

Thanks.

--
Dave Read                 | read@physics.utexas.edu | #include <cutepicture.h>
UT-Austin Nuclear Physics | read@lampf.lanl.gov     | #define flame /dev/null

ashing@milton.u.washington.edu (Al Shing) (09/01/90)

In article <36671@ut-emx> readdm@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) writes:
>I've got a friend who just bought an IBM PS/2 Model 70, and the silly thing
>fails the POST somewhere during the RAM check, exiting with an error code
>#162.

What a coincidence, mine does the same thing some mornings.

>Does anybody know what this error code is telling us?  He can't find the
>error-list anywhere in the manuals...

It means that the CMOS configuration data has been lost.  You can reset it
by booting from the Reference Diskette.  Possible causes are a weak battery,
or a problem in the motherboard.

I believe that if you get dasddrvr.sys, and include it in your config.sys,
it will circumvent the problem.  I can't do this, because I am running an
AIX system.
--
    Al Shing (ashing@cac.washington.edu)

csj06895@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Christopher S Jones) (09/07/90)

readdm@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) writes:

>I've got a friend who just bought an IBM PS/2 Model 70, and the silly thing
>fails the POST somewhere during the RAM check, exiting with an error code
>#162.

>Does anybody know what this error code is telling us?  He can't find the
>error-list anywhere in the manuals...

From what I can tell from my manuals, error 162 indicates "CMOS CRC error"

This could mean that the Programmable Option Select data for one of the
adapters in the PS/2 has been corrupted.  An "Option Diskette" should be
provided with the PS/2, which should be used to reboot the machine when this
error occurs.  Supposedly, by following the directions provided on-screen,
your friend should be able to fix this himself.

Other error codes to watch for:
	161 battery failure
	162 CMOS CRC error
	163 system configuration error (not CRC)
	164 memory configuration error
	165 adapter configuration (no .ADF file found for adapter)