[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Insight 386SX

harvey@hsomai.enet.dec.com (Sherwin L. Harvey) (09/10/90)

This message is empty.

harvey@hsomai.enet.dec.com (Sherwin L. Harvey) (09/10/90)

Does Anyone have any experience with Insight Computers'  386SX package
advertised in the September issue of  Computer Shopper Magazine.  It is a great
package. It beats all of the other 386SX systems in terms of features that I
have seen.  It includes the following

386SX-16
4 Mb memory  high speed SIMMS
1 3.5 Floppy Drive
1 5.25 Floppy Drive
65 Mb 25 Rll Hard Dirve
Caching Controller
14" Super VGA Color Monitor  ( 1024 x 768 ) .28 dot pitch
16-Bit VGA with 512k
2 Serial Ports, 1 Parallel Port
101 key keyboard
MSDOS 3.3 or 4.01

All of this for $1995.

Is this Brand Insight realible?
Has Anyone else bought this computer?

Regards,

Sherwin,

hutch@ticnj.UUCP (-Robert Hutchison) (09/10/90)

In article <29@decabo.dec.com>, harvey@hsomai.enet.dec.com (Sherwin L. Harvey) writes:

> Does Anyone have any experience with Insight Computers'  386SX package
> advertised in the September issue of  Computer Shopper Magazine.  It is a great
> package. It beats all of the other 386SX systems in terms of features that I
> have seen.  It includes the following
>
> 386SX-16
> 4 Mb memory  high speed SIMMS
> 1 3.5 Floppy Drive
> 1 5.25 Floppy Drive
> 65 Mb 25 Rll Hard Dirve
> Caching Controller
> 14" Super VGA Color Monitor  ( 1024 x 768 ) .28 dot pitch
> 16-Bit VGA with 512k
> 2 Serial Ports, 1 Parallel Port
> 101 key keyboard
> MSDOS 3.3 or 4.01
>
> All of this for $1995.
>
> Is this Brand Insight realible?
> Has Anyone else bought this computer?
>

> Regards,
>

> Sherwin,

Well, I got one of their other models (the 25MHZ version with a 160MB
disk) about a week and a half ago.  It seems to be very well built.
The monitor is quite nice, although the 1024x768 mode is interlaced -
the 800x600 mode works very nicely (I am using it with windows 3.0 and
GEM stuff - they supplied drivers).  It is made by TVM (the supersync
3 model).  The VGA card is an OEM version of the ATI VGA wonder (it
doesn't have the bus mouse port).  The disk drive is real nice - I got
the 160MB ESDI version (they use micropolis) - seems to have very good
performance (I was told that the controller has a 512K cache, although
I have not looked closely inside).  The keyboard is made by Chicony
and leaves a lot to be desired - cheap clackity-clack feel.  The
motherboard is made by Armis (?) and uses AMI BIOS.  I've loaded a lot
of stuff so far and have had no problems with the stuff running.

The company, from what I can tell, hasn't been selling computers too
long - they are, however, basically the same company as Hard Drives
International.  The system comes with one year on-site TRW like many
of the others.  I don't think you will find anyone who has had one of
their systems too long.

I have had occasion to call their tech support a few times, and their
response has been good.  It seems strange to me, but the person who
sells the machine seems to be their first-tier support as well.

I received the system 8 days after I ordered it.  They use Federal
Express for delivery of all systems (2nd day service), so it would be
easy to trace if it got lost in shipping (much easier than UPS or US
Post).

BTW, they offer Msoft Windows 3.0 with a Msoft serial mouse
for an additional $100.  All software comes pre-installed on the
system, so I was able able to plug everything together and start

Hope this helps,
Bob Hutchison		attmail!ticnj!hutch
			tsdiag!ticnj!hutch