[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Adding 8-bit wide RAM to an AT.

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (09/05/90)

We have an old original IBM AT here with 256k RAM on the motherboard and a 256k
extension card.  It is only used for relatively low power applications like
word processing, but it really does need that extra 128k of RAM.

Two questions:

Does anyone know of a relatively cheap add-on card to give us this extra
memory?

Can I use an XT memory expansion card, albeit with some sacrifice in
performance, for this purpose?  Most of the cheaper cards available are
for XT's.

Many thanks,

Peter Summers

cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson. MedNet, G|teborgs Universitet) (09/10/90)

In article <1004@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) writes:

> Can I use an XT memory expansion card, albeit with some sacrifice in
> performance, for this purpose?  Most of the cheaper cards available are
> for XT's.

Yes, but the 8-bit memory card runs _SLOW_. I've tested...

I recommend you to buy a real 16-bit memorycard. If possible, buy a card
with backfilling main memory from 512K to 640K and EMS or extended memory.

256K chips are cheaper than 64K and with 256K, you can backfill the
memory from 512K to 640K and get 128K for EMS.