[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Zenith flat screen vs. superVGA ???

bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu (09/06/90)

I am planning to set up a second system for my group and am debating between
getting a superVGA card and monitor or to stick with our present choice which
is standard VGA  and a Zenith flat screen monitor. Applications are wp, and
simple graphics stuff from spreadsheets and scientific plotting software.
I know that superVGA has better resolution, but the Zenith monitor is so
nice that I am hesitant to switch. Any comments from those who have used both.

mike benedik
university of houston
benedik@uh.edu

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (09/07/90)

bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu writes:

>I am planning to set up a second system for my group and am debating between
>getting a superVGA card and monitor or to stick with our present choice which
>is standard VGA  and a Zenith flat screen monitor. Applications are wp, and
>simple graphics stuff from spreadsheets and scientific plotting software.
>I know that superVGA has better resolution, but the Zenith monitor is so
>nice that I am hesitant to switch. Any comments from those who have used both.

Very few programs support SVGA.  A few CAD packages and Windows do.
Check out your software to see if it supports it.  Most boards come with
drivers for a few packages, but not many.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

KRW1@Lehigh (09/07/90)

Zenith keeps talking about a hi-res version of the 149x.  Maybe you
should hold out for one.  I use 2 FTM's and I'd never trade the image
quality for the garden variety SVGA monitor.  I actually saw a hi-res
Zenith FTM - about 2 years ago at NCGA - but they have yet to make it
to market.  -- Kevin

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (09/10/90)

KRW1@Lehigh writes:

>Zenith keeps talking about a hi-res version of the 149x.  Maybe you
>should hold out for one.  I use 2 FTM's and I'd never trade the image
>quality for the garden variety SVGA monitor.  I actually saw a hi-res
>Zenith FTM - about 2 years ago at NCGA - but they have yet to make it
>to market.  -- Kevin

FYI.  There is an article in the latest PC Mag. (9/25/90) about
service and reliability for computer hardware.  To quote a few passages
(without consent):

	""Wonderful monitor - when it works.""

	""It's a damn shame," says ... "The monitors have such a
	super picture when they work properly.  We had 12 ZCM-1490s in
	our department.  Ten developed screen problems within a year.
	One was dead out of the box.  They were all sent in for repair,
	and when they were returned, they all developed the same
	problems within the week.  Zenith gave us 1492s as
	replacements."  Zenith declined to comment on our findings."

	"People who work with Zenith monitors every day generally have
	high praise for the for the flat tension mask technology and
	their superior picture quality, but in the eyes of those who
	needed service or support, Zenith has room for improvement."

These findings seem to parallel things I've heard about Zenith products
in general.

All-in-all, the article was quite excellent.  This is a massive effort
on PC Mags part.  Their findings seemed right on the mark for those
things that I've had personal experience with.  If you don't subscribe
to PC Mag, I recommend that you make a special effort to get this issue
at the news stand.