[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 386 trouble.. Help Help !!!

skahng@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Soonam Kahng) (09/07/90)

Hello everybody..

 I need a help to fix my 386 system. My system is not booted up.
Nothing is happen after the powercomes in except beeping three times.
I tried to change all cards with the other but...
I guess the mother board has a problem. But I don't have the
information on the error code (beeping three times).
My system is
      386 16Mhz
      Motherboard is   "MYLEX V2 "   (1987)
      BIOS              AMI (11/30/87)
      Hard drive        ID130-AT
      Ethernetcard      Sytek Ethernet
      and FDD, Mono video.

Does anybody give me an advice?
How much will it cost to fix?
Do you know the phone # of American Megatrends INC.?

Any advice,please......

Soonam..
skahng@gmuvax2.gmu.edu
skahng@gmuvax.bitnet
.

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (09/08/90)

skahng@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Soonam Kahng) writes:

> Hello everybody..
>
>  I need a help to fix my 386 system. My system is not booted up.
> Nothing is happen after the powercomes in except beeping three times.

I believe the three-beep error indicates a bad video card. Try another
video card in the motherboard and see if the problem clears up.
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}

monahan@cs.nps.navy.mil (James Monahan) (09/11/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: 386 trouble.. Help Help !!!

In article <2208@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> skahng@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Soonam Kahng) writes:
>Hello everybody..
>
> I need a help to fix my 386 system. My system is not booted up.
>Nothing is happen after the powercomes in except beeping three times.
>I tried to change all cards with the other but...

>I guess the mother board has a problem. But I don't have the
>information on the error code (beeping three times).
>My system is
>      386 16Mhz
>      Motherboard is   "MYLEX V2 "   (1987)
>      BIOS              AMI (11/30/87)
>      Hard drive        ID130-AT
>      Ethernetcard      Sytek Ethernet
>      and FDD, Mono video.
>
>Does anybody give me an advice?
>How much will it cost to fix?
>Do you know the phone # of American Megatrends INC.?
>
>Any advice,please......
>
>Soonam..
>skahng@gmuvax2.gmu.edu
>skahng@gmuvax.bitnet
>.

Hope this helps.  I have a 20 MHz Mylex Motherboard with the same BIOS.
When I attempted to upgrade my ram from the 1M standard to 4M (bank 0
filled with 1M SIMMs), I heard the same beeps.  The manual says that it
has sensed a problem with the '64K BASE MEMORY' prior to sensing video
and thus provides the beep messages (There are 5 other beep codes). The
problem and the solution were: 3 of the 4 SIMMS were faulty and once
replaced worked great.
Advice - make sure that the memory is sitted properly and/or test the
RAM in another machine.  Checking all DIPs and/or jumper settings is a
given.
                        Good luck.

bartling@mozart.amd.com (Steve Bartling) (09/11/90)

In article <2208@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> skahng@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Soonam Kahng) writes:
>Hello everybody..
>
> I need a help to fix my 386 system. My system is not booted up.
>Nothing is happen after the powercomes in except beeping three times.
>I tried to change all cards with the other but...
>I guess the mother board has a problem. But I don't have the
>information on the error code (beeping three times).
>My system is
>      386 16Mhz
>      Motherboard is   "MYLEX V2 "   (1987)
>      BIOS              AMI (11/30/87)
>      Hard drive        ID130-AT
>      Ethernetcard      Sytek Ethernet
>      and FDD, Mono video.

Three beeps in POST ( Power On Self Test ) indicates a DRAM failure.
Check to make sure your RAM chips are seated properly in their sockets.
If they are all securely in place, then you must swap them out one
BANK at a time until you locate the offending bank. Once you find the
offending bank of DRAM, then you replace each DRAM ( or SIMM/SIPP)
chip one at a time with a good DRAM chip until you locate the bad
chip ( or SIMM/SIPP).

If I remember right, you only get 3 beeps upon bootup if the system
cannot locate at any DRAM at all. Otherwise, the POST will locate
some DRAM and will only signal a CMOS checksum error that indicates
that the amount of DRAM installed does not match the amount stored
in the configuration RAM. Thus, three beeps usually implies that
Bank 0 is failing. Try swapping the memory in Bank 0 with the memory
in another bank. If this works, you will get a checksum error and the
machine will boot with insufficient DRAM. This will indicate that the
DRAM in bank 0 was bad. If this still does not work, then you have
some other problem with the memory bus or connector/etc.

Good Luck, Steve Bartling
email : bartling@mozart.amd.com

rcollins@altos86.Altos.COM (Robert Collins) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.201004.22760@mozart.amd.com> bartling@mozart.amd.com (Steve Bartling) writes:

>Three beeps in POST ( Power On Self Test ) indicates a DRAM failure.

Just for the record, beep codes (and port 80 codes) are BIOS specific.
There is no industry standard for beep codes and port 80 codes.  In fact
some BIOS vendors use long and short beep codes to signify errors.

This is not to say Mr. Bartling is wrong with his assessment of the problem,
I just thought that everybody should know that three beeps on AMI BIOS
doesn't mean the same thing as three beeps on other BIOS's.

--
"Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Mat. 4:10
Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ...!sun!altos86!rcollins

bartling@mozart.amd.com (Steve Bartling) (09/14/90)

In article <4043@altos86.Altos.COM> rcollins@altos86.UUCP (Robert Collins) writes:
>In article <1990Sep10.201004.22760@mozart.amd.com> bartling@mozart.amd.com (Steve Bartling) writes:
>>
>>Three beeps in POST ( Power On Self Test ) indicates a DRAM failure.
>>
>Just for the record, beep codes (and port 80 codes) are BIOS specific.
>There is no industry standard for beep codes and port 80 codes.  In fact
>some BIOS vendors use long and short beep codes to signify errors.
>
>This is not to say Mr. Bartling is wrong with his assessment of the problem,
>I just thought that everybody should know that three beeps on AMI BIOS
>doesn't mean the same thing as three beeps on other BIOS's.
>

>--
>"Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Mat. 4:10
>Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ...!sun!altos86!rcollins
>HOME:  (408) 225-8002
>WORK:  (408) 432-6200 x4356

Thanks Robert, I was not aware that it was a BIOS dependent 'feature'.

I now qualify my previous posting. For the AMI BIOS, three beeps
is used to indicate a DRAM failure in bank 0. Please see my previous
posting for more confusing details :-)

Thanks again Robert ... it is a nice change for someone to elucidate
ones posting without indulging in flames.

- Steve Bartling

bartling@mozart.amd.com