[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ROM BIOS

mwooh@rosewall..citib (Michael Wooh) (09/12/90)

Just a quick question:  In purchasing an IBM CLONE which BIOS' are the most "compatible"
and which BIOS' are the most incompatible (ones to avoid).  ie. PHOENIX, AWARD, etc.???

sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (09/12/90)

mwooh@rosewall..citib (Michael Wooh) writes:
>Just a quick question:  In purchasing an IBM CLONE which BIOS' are the most "compatible"
>and which BIOS' are the most incompatible (ones to avoid).  ie. PHOENIX, AWARD, etc.???

Well, I'd say to stick with one of the big three:

Phoenix
Award
American Megatrends Inc (AMI)

If you have problems with one in a clone, you can (almost) always just send
the BIOS chips back and get one of the others (from most suppliers).  Or you
can buy a new set of chips for no more than $60.  I have AMI-386 BIOS, and
although its setup program is slightly weak, I haven't seen the other two
BIOSes.  I guess it's probably an issues of personal preference; does anyone
out there have experience with several different BIOSes?

--
Kevin Martin  |||  sigma@pawl.rpi.edu  |||  usergkj1@RPITSMTS.BITNET

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (09/12/90)

In article <&DB%F7|@rpi.edu> sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) writes:
>can buy a new set of chips for no more than $60.  I have AMI-386 BIOS, and
>although its setup program is slightly weak, I haven't seen the other two

Which version of AMI-386 are you using?  My AMI-386's set up is quite slick,
I think.  My father's AMI-386's setup is quite poor.  The sad thing is,
his computer was ordered from the same place as mine only a couple weeks
before hand, and the dates on both of them were from 1989!  And we ordered
them in June and July of this year.

Charles

rcollins@altos86.Altos.COM (Robert Collins) (09/12/90)

In article <&DB%F7|@rpi.edu> sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) writes:
>>Just a quick question:  In purchasing an IBM CLONE which BIOS' are the most "compatible"
>BIOSes.  I guess it's probably an issues of personal preference; does anyone
>out there have experience with several different BIOSes?

Yes, I have experience with all of them, and others, at the source code
level.  But, as it was pointed out to me here on the net, it is
inappropriate for me to say much about them, because my opinions are
tainted due to insider (source code) information.

So, this I say:  Don't go with any of them.  Try either Mr. BIOS, or
Quadtel (listed in alphabetic order).
Mr. BIOS @ (408) 396-4096
Quadtel  @ (714)  ?    ?  (don't have the number handy, try information in 714)

--
"Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Mat. 4:10
Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ...!sun!altos86!rcollins

JCS120@psuvm.psu.edu (09/12/90)

AMI has been a pretty dependable bios for me.

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (09/13/90)

In article <&DB%F7|@rpi.edu> sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) writes:
>...I guess it's probably an issues of personal preference; does anyone
>out there have experience with several different BIOSes?

I've used systems with both Phoenix and Award BIOS, and both are good.
The Phoenix BIOS on my 386 system has two user-definable drive types, which
came in handy when I upgraded to ESDI...just enter the parameters and you're
set.

I've never used it, but I've heard stories of compatibility problems with
DTK's BIOS.

Steve
--
| Steve Ward Jr. appears courtesy of       |            stevewa@upvax.UUCP    |
| Univ. of Portland, Portland, OR          |         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |

ted@polyof.poly.edu (A1 ted kapela (staff) ) (09/14/90)

In article <&DB%F7|@rpi.edu> sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) writes:

>can buy a new set of chips for no more than $60.  I have AMI-386 BIOS, and
>although its setup program is slightly weak, I haven't seen the other two

I have the AMI-386 BIOS with the Extended Setup (for the Chips and
Technologies Chipset).  The standard setup is included, but I never
use it.  The extended setup allows direct register-value modification
(The changes are not stored in CMOS RAM until you exit.  You may choose
to abort the changes if you want.).  Command wait states and Data
wait states are all adjustable for 8, 16 and 32 bit buses.  I find
these are what I change the most as I change the boards in the machine.

Shadowing of system BIOS, and video BIOS are both selectable.  Marking
parts of higher RAM read-only (for the shadowed bios, etc...) is also
available.

I would definitely choose the BIOS with extended setup if I had a choice
(over the standard AMI setup)

:   Theodore S. Kapela                 :  ted@polyof.poly.edu                 :
:   (516) 755-4299 [Voice, Days]       :  "Another brilliant mind             :
:   (516) 473-7746 [FAX]               :     corrupted by education"          : ...............................................................................

tim@NCoast.ORG (Tim Stradtman) (09/15/90)

In article <1117@upvax.UUCP> stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:

>>...I guess it's probably an issues of personal preference; does anyone
>>out there have experience with several different BIOSes?

>I've never used it, but I've heard stories of compatibility problems with
>DTK's BIOS.

We haven't had compatibility problems with the DTK, however, occasionally,
we get an error message: "PARITY ERROR BUT SEGMENT DOESN'T FOUND"
This seems to happen only when running in Turbo (10Mhz) mode, and only
on rare (thankfully) occasions.  Both of our DTK's have done it, although
they pass every memory test program we have been able to get our hands on.
Could it possibly be cosmic radiation??? :-)

--
Tim Stradtman
tim@ncoast.org    or   ak215@cleveland.freeent.edu

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (09/15/90)

In <1990Sep11.190942.14712@rosewall.citib>, mwooh@citib.com wrote:

> Just a quick question: In purchasing an IBM CLONE which BIOS' are the
> most "compatible" and which BIOS' are the most incompatible (ones to
> avoid).  ie. PHOENIX, AWARD, etc.???

The question is not quite so simple.  Dell Computer sells a Phoenix
derived BIOS.  But we have worked on it for a couple of years from its
Phoenix base, making significant bug fixes and enhancements.  I assume
other vendors large enough to have a programming staff do likewise.
So saying that "Brand X has bug Y" may not be true for every BIOS that
has a Brand X copyright message.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (09/15/90)

tim@NCoast.ORG (Tim Stradtman) writes:

> We haven't had compatibility problems with the DTK, however, occasionally,
> we get an error message: "PARITY ERROR BUT SEGMENT DOESN'T FOUND"
> This seems to happen only when running in Turbo (10Mhz) mode, and only
> on rare (thankfully) occasions.  Both of our DTK's have done it, although
> they pass every memory test program we have been able to get our hands on.
> Could it possibly be cosmic radiation??? :-)

My ex-business partner had a DTK AT that would do that on occasion. He
was running a Galacticomm BBS on the machine, and had a Maxit card in
the machine. The best we were able to figure, the Maxit card was
throwing an occasional parity error, but the BIOS couldn't find it due
to the mapping scheme Maxit uses. If you have some extra memory
installed somewhere, that could be your problem.
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}