[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] How do you know a CGA card when you see one?

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (09/09/90)

  I just bought a graphics/printer card which was said
to be a monochrome card. The printer part works fine. The graphics is
another story. I can read text on my mono monitor, but it is repeated
three times. I can make out graphics stuff but it is not good at all.

  Other Hercules compatible cards I've used had a 32 Mhz crystal. This card
has none, or rather, it has no obvious metal crystal can.

  This card also has one jumper to enable or disable the printer port.
It has 4 other jumpers set to "1011".

  The card is labelled, "CGP-1", and has the letters "JCC" as an apparent
logo. Might this card be CGA? Is there any sure-fire way to tell by looking
at it when you do not have a CGA monitor? What might the 4 jumpers be for?

  Any info welcome.

  Thanks.

Bob Davis              \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

linwood@cbnewsk.att.com (linwood.d.johnson) (09/15/90)

In article <4284@trantor.harris-atd.com>, sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:

>   I just bought a graphics/printer card which was said
> to be a monochrome card. The printer part works fine. The graphics is
> another story. I can read text on my mono monitor, but it is repeated
> three times. I can make out graphics stuff but it is not good at all.
>
>   The card is labelled, "CGP-1", and has the letters "JCC" as an apparent
> logo. Might this card be CGA? Is there any sure-fire way to tell by looking
> at it when you do not have a CGA monitor? What might the 4 jumpers be for?
>
>   Any info welcome.
>
>   Thanks.

  Bob, you might be able to find out the card type using Turbo Pascal, or
Turbo C.

	Turbo Pascal has  library routines to get the graphics mode, and
these routines operate by querying the graphics card installed. It may or
may not actually put the card into graphics mode, but, it will return some
code stating what the result of the query was.  The result code can be
checked against those in the Turbo Pascal manual to see what the card calls
itself.

	If you don't have access to turbo Pascal or Turbo C (or Turbo C++)
then you can try WordPerfect and tell it to "autodetect" what type of graphics
card is installed.  It will give some type of report on what it finds.

Good Luck.

| Linwood D. Johnson       |  linwood@ihlpf.att.com                 |
| Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine and mine only.       |
|             Besides, who else would want them?                     |