[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Can you RLL format the Seagate ST251 drive?

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (09/10/90)

	Have you ever RLL formatted an ST251 42Mb MFM drive? Can you
get it to go 63Mb that way? I have an Adaptec 2372 RLL controller. If RLL
is possible, then by the DEBUG g=c800:5 jazz, do I declare 820 cylinders
and 6 heads? What are the details of what I must do to try RLL formatting?

	Does the 50% increase in drive capacity under RLL formatting
compared to MFM *always* come because there are 26 sectors/track for RLL,
and only 17 sectors/track for MFM? And therefore does one always use
the SAME number of cylinders and heads for RLL as for MFM?

	Thanks.

Bob Davis              \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (09/10/90)

In article <4285@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:

> 	Have you ever RLL formatted an ST251 42Mb MFM drive? Can you
> get it to go 63Mb that way? I have an Adaptec 2372 RLL controller. If RLL
> is possible, then by the DEBUG g=c800:5 jazz, do I declare 820 cylinders
> and 6 heads? What are the details of what I must do to try RLL formatting?

I've been running a ST251 on an Adaptec 2372 for about 2 years with no problem.
You only have to declare the 820 cylinders and 6 heads.  The only problem you
may have are defects.  You cannot enter the ones on the defect list and expect
them to be marked correctly.  Since the Adaptec does a nice low level with
verify this MAY not be a problem.  I would also run Spin Rite II on it.  Before
using the drive, test it out.  Run any type of hard drive banging program you
can find.  At least make a batch file to copy files and compare them.  Run it
for a few days non-stop.

> 	Does the 50% increase in drive capacity under RLL formatting
> compared to MFM *always* come because there are 26 sectors/track for RLL,
> and only 17 sectors/track for MFM? And therefore does one always use
> the SAME number of cylinders and heads for RLL as for MFM?

If I understand your question correctly, The only (high level at least) diff.
between RLL and MFM is the 26 vs. 17 sectors.
Disclaimer: My company knows not what I say (or do).

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/10/90)

In article <4285@trantor.harris-atd.com>
sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:

|	Have you ever RLL formatted an ST251 42Mb MFM drive? Can you

Yes, with a WD1006V-SR2. For about a year now with no problems.
ST4096 too. (I have 180 megabytes).

|	Does the 50% increase in drive capacity under RLL formatting
|compared to MFM *always* come because there are 26 sectors/track for RLL,
|and only 17 sectors/track for MFM? And therefore does one always use
|the SAME number of cylinders and heads for RLL as for MFM?

Yes. RLL simply increases the data bit density (but NOT the flux
transition density) and does not affect the geometry (#tracks and
#heads) at all.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.162707.18613@amd.com>, phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
> RLL simply increases the data bit density (but NOT the flux
> transition density) and does not affect the geometry (#tracks and
> #heads) at all.

RLL doesn't affect the geometry but it most certainly DOES increase
the flux density.  The average density may not increase (I'm not
sure), but the maximum density is about 50% greater than MFM.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
You should see me when I lose in real life! -- Calvin

peng@chaource.cs.wisc.edu (PENG) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep10.162707.18613@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
|In article <4285@trantor.harris-atd.com>
|sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
||	Have you ever RLL formatted an ST251 42Mb MFM drive? Can you
|
|Yes, with a WD1006V-SR2. For about a year now with no problems.
|ST4096 too. (I have 180 megabytes).
|
||	Does the 50% increase in drive capacity under RLL formatting
||compared to MFM *always* come because there are 26 sectors/track for RLL,
||and only 17 sectors/track for MFM? And therefore does one always use
||the SAME number of cylinders and heads for RLL as for MFM?
|
|Yes. RLL simply increases the data bit density (but NOT the flux
|transition density) and does not affect the geometry (#tracks and
|#heads) at all.

I know Mitsubishi is advertising a drive (MR535?) that allows you to
format as either an RLL or an MFM drive.  But I never see Seagate does this.
So what's the catch?  Do RLL drives have to be better built?  And therefore
Mitsubishi doesn't mind that their drives are being formatted in MFM? (because
they don't produce "low quality" drive?)  I know the flux transition density
remains about the same when you use your MFM drive as an RLL drive.
But how about "error-correctibility?"  I don't know how exactly an RLL
drive encodes the data, but it sounds to be more vulnerable to errors since
the data bit density is higher.  Any one cares to enlighten me?

-peng

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/16/90)

In article <11257@spool.cs.wisc.edu> peng@chaource.cs.wisc.edu (PENG) writes:
|I know Mitsubishi is advertising a drive (MR535?) that allows you to
|format as either an RLL or an MFM drive.  But I never see Seagate does this.
|So what's the catch?  Do RLL drives have to be better built?  And therefore
|Mitsubishi doesn't mind that their drives are being formatted in MFM? (because

It's not primarily a matter of how well they are built. The thing about
RLL is that, although it uses the same number of flux transitions as
MFM, they must be more precisely placed. Things like a poor signal
to noise ratio in the head amplifiers or imperfect write compensation
can cause a problem.  Apparently Seagate does not want to certify some
of their drives as RLL (although many of them do work that way).

I think all RLL drives can be used in MFM but there are plenty of
rumors about how you can't do this, so I believe the Mitsubishi
drive is really a RLL drive and Mitsubishi is simply trying to
reassure those people who do not have RLL controllers that they
can also use that disk.

In my limited experience, most reliable MFM drives work in the RLL
mode. I would expect that a drive which failed RLL to be pretty
marginal with MFM but I will not claim to be an expert at this,
I do feel I have an understanding of how MFM and RLL work at the
bit level.

No doubt someone will post about how he tried his MFM drive with
RLL and it caught fire and burned down his house, but I don't believe
it was because of the use of RLL.

And there are stories about how if you use an RLL drive with an
MFM controller it will give off X-rays and prevent you from having
any children, but you shouldn't believe them either.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"Why would Xerox Corp. want a paperless office?"