[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Help NOVELL rejecting Hard disk

cking@kean.ucs.mun.ca (Carl Roy King) (09/17/90)

I have a question for anyone who has experience with Novell Netware

We recently acquired a couple of 100 mb drives for our 386 file
servers under Novell 2.15.  The problem is that the drives are defined
as type 48 ( user defined) and when Novell does a netgen, It reports
an invalid CMOS drive type.  Any help of leads would be appreciated..
I'll Summarize and post if there is a request to do so.

Cking@leif.ucs.mun.ca
carlk@stretch.cs.mun.edu
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science

AArgh Billy, have ya ever been ta Sea?

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (09/18/90)

This is a classic problem.

Novell will only recognize drive types which are static in memory, none of
the user defined drive types will work.  One easy way around this is to
obtain a copy of Disk Manager-N (for Novell Networks) by Ontrack Systems or
LanStor by Storage Dimensions (for you particular drive).  Use one of these
programs to setup the drive before running NETGEN.  NOTE: You must follow
the directions supplied with the program BEFORE your NETGEN.

I hope this help.
      __________                                ___
     /          \                          /   /    /_/ / /\/
    _/  /   /   /                       __/.  /__  / / / / /
   /     /     /
  /           /  Happy Computing ...    ARPAnet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /     and Networking ...   BITnet:  jc58@andrew
 \__________/                           UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
 Computer Dr.

Disclaimer:   The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (09/19/90)

In article <135755@kean.ucs.mun.ca> cking@kean.ucs.mun.ca (Carl Roy King) writes:
> I have a question for anyone who has experience with Novell Netware
>
> We recently acquired a couple of 100 mb drives for our 386 file
> servers under Novell 2.15.  The problem is that the drives are defined
> as type 48 ( user defined) and when Novell does a netgen, It reports
> an invalid CMOS drive type.  Any help of leads would be appreciated..

Since the user-defined hard drive types are in RAM not ROM Novell cannot
read them and returns the error message you've seen.  If your system has
a shadow BIOS feature try it, it MAY work.
Disclaimer: My company knows not what I say (or do).

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com

ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) (09/19/90)

cking@kean.ucs.mun.ca (Carl Roy King) writes:

>I have a question for anyone who has experience with Novell Netware

>We recently acquired a couple of 100 mb drives for our 386 file
>servers under Novell 2.15.  The problem is that the drives are defined
>as type 48 ( user defined) and when Novell does a netgen, It reports
>an invalid CMOS drive type.  Any help of leads would be appreciated..
>I'll Summarize and post if there is a request to do so.

>Cking@leif.ucs.mun.ca
>carlk@stretch.cs.mun.edu
>Memorial University of Newfoundland
>Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science

>AArgh Billy, have ya ever been ta Sea?

Oh, this is a common error for Novell Compsurf-test ! It is not possible to
go around this with some major hardware peeling.
You must patch your bios entries, say you have to change any entry in the bios
into the wanted type. So, you need a ERpom burner and some software for this.
If interested, I post how to patch the BIOS.
CU, Markus
   Markus Illenseer                I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid, I can't do that.
     4790 Paderborn ,United Germany           Email: ill@uni-paderborn.de