[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Old Compaq Plus 10Meg Disk Died. Help!

fjs@coil.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) (09/17/90)

I am using a very old (5 yrs?) Compaq Plus with a 10 MBytes
fixed disk. I got the following message when booting:

         FIXED DISK ERROR 1701

When I boot from floppy, the drive C (the hard disk) is not
even recognized. I have the impression that the disk does not
even start rotating anymore as some usual noise is not felt
anymore from that corner (maybe a safety feature?).
The light does go on though.
Any help will be highly welcomed. Thanks

                               - Fernando

ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) (09/19/90)

fjs@coil.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) writes:

>I am using a very old (5 yrs?) Compaq Plus with a 10 MBytes
>fixed disk. I got the following message when booting:

>         FIXED DISK ERROR 1701

>When I boot from floppy, the drive C (the hard disk) is not
>even recognized. I have the impression that the disk does not
>even start rotating anymore as some usual noise is not felt
>anymore from that corner (maybe a safety feature?).
>The light does go on though.
>Any help will be highly welcomed. Thanks

>                               - Fernando
I think you'll have no chance ! This error is a (normally) controller error.
But it appears, that the drive is defect instead of the controller.
First, try any (AT or PC) controller (format the drive or try to access the
drive). Then hit the drive (shuffle it, don't bother, it good old work !),
to look weather it is the disk, which is not turning.
If nothing helps, go and buy new drive, or better buy new PC.
CU, Markus
   Markus Illenseer                I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid, I can't do that.
     4790 Paderborn ,United Germany           Email: ill@uni-paderborn.de

ins173w@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr r.c. begg) (09/19/90)

I don't like your chances of recovering the disk, I'd say it has died for
good, I hope you had backups.
Depending on the drive, they usually fail because the bushings sieze on the
drum (quite often due to bad manufacture).  If you can get to the flywheel
on the drive you could probobaly kick start it, I have done this to an old
Miniscribe 20M hard disk and it usually worked for a week after each restart,
which was long enough to back up all the data and to replace the drive.
Good luck anyway...

Regards Richard.

| Richard Begg             internet: ins173w@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au  |
|           3rd year Computer Science - Monash University            |