[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] noise on PC speaker

jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Extremely Gonzoid) (09/18/90)

Hi!
I hope one of you people here has a suggestion to this:
Someone posted the program remac onto comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
and it really works fine, except for one thing. It only works 100%
fine at boot-up time, i.e. if I start it from the autoexec.bat.

If I use the prog at a later stage, even RIGHT AFTER boot-up is
finished, then I get this nasty buzz in my speaker. My suspicion
is, that somwhere inside the circuits, some currents build up, which
then go into the speaker if I use it. It almost drowns out any sound
coming from the speaker.

I know other computers don't have that problem, coz I've tested the
prog on the PS/2's, and it worked fine (without that buzz) at any time.

Any ideas? (capacitors, resistors,...)

 Jan Vilhuber            | Internet: jvilhube@du.edu or jvilhube@[130.253.1.4]
 (The jammin' Bass)      | Bitnet  : jvilhube@DUCAIR
"Drunken Milkman...driving drunk...Family of four,
family no more...milk and blood...blood and milk."  Scatterbrain

fasciano@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Massimo Fasciano) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep18.035045.17966@mercury.cair.du.edu> jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Extremely Gonzoid) writes:
>Hi!
>I hope one of you people here has a suggestion to this:
>Someone posted the program remac onto comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
>and it really works fine, except for one thing. It only works 100%
>fine at boot-up time, i.e. if I start it from the autoexec.bat.
>
>If I use the prog at a later stage, even RIGHT AFTER boot-up is
>finished, then I get this nasty buzz in my speaker. My suspicion
>is, that somwhere inside the circuits, some currents build up, which
>then go into the speaker if I use it. It almost drowns out any sound
>coming from the speaker.
>
>I know other computers don't have that problem, coz I've tested the
>prog on the PS/2's, and it worked fine (without that buzz) at any time.
>
>Any ideas? (capacitors, resistors,...)

Do you have a bus mouse installed? Try removing the driver...

(the bus mouse generates a lot of interrupts and will prevent correct
timing of sounds)

--

Massimo Fasciano (fasciano@iro.umontreal.ca)

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (09/19/90)

>I have bought a 386SX to work (and play) at home. But the speaker sounds too
>loudly
>and I fear to disturb my neighboors in the night.
>Would it be possible to set it by program ?

There is no volume control on the PC speaker. You can either disconnect it
or put in a switch to disconnect/connect it. Either operation is simple
and can be done cheaply. The first option is real easy and cheap. Open the
case, find the wire leading from the speaker and pull it loose.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

davet@cbnewsj.att.com (Dave Tutelman) (09/21/90)

In article <15090012@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
> >I have bought a 386SX to work (and play) at home. But the speaker sounds too
> >loudly
>
> There is no volume control on the PC speaker. You can either disconnect it
> or put in a switch to disconnect/connect it. Either operation is simple
> and can be done cheaply.

If you're willing to go to the trouble of putting in an on-off switch,
it isn't that much more difficult to add a volume control (I've done it).
Just get a potentiometer of about 50-100 ohms, and connect it in as
follows:
   -	The two wires from the motherboard go to the two ends of
	the resistance.
   -	One wire from the speaker goes to the sliding tap.
   -	The other wire goes to one end of the resistance (sharing
	that lug with one of the wires from the motherboard).
	Experiment a little. One end will give you an "off" position
	in the full-counterclockwise position (what you want);
	the other will have it at full-clockwise.

The hardest part is the carpentry on the case, if you decide you want
to adjust the volume from the outside.  The same is true for the
on-off switch.

Cheers!
Dave