[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Hard disk unit 0 failure

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (09/17/90)

I just (physically) replaced a 72MB Micropolis with a 190MB Maxtor
XT-2190 HD, same cables, same everything.

I put a bootable floppy in A: and turned on the power.  I couldn't get
it to go into the ROM setup and it wouldn't boot at all, giving the
error message,
	"Hard disk unit 0 failure"

It then lets me run setup.  I've tried a couple of different HD types --
32 (1024 cyls), 47 (0's for all values) -- but I never get past the same
error message.  I even tried "no HD installed."  It booted the floppy
but then DiskManager gave the "drive failed" message.

I guess I have a bad drive?

Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep17.162754.462@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I just (physically) replaced a 72MB Micropolis with a 190MB Maxtor
>XT-2190 HD, same cables, same everything.
>	"Hard disk unit 0 failure"

Err umm.. perhaps the obvious solution.. hit F1 (or whatever) to continue,
boot DOS from a diskette, and then run a low level format on the drive..

My drives gave me the same error until after the first low level format.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep17.162754.462@mccc.uucp>, pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> I just (physically) replaced a 72MB Micropolis with a 190MB Maxtor
> XT-2190 HD, same cables, same everything.

[ and then no hard disk software or firmware worked ]

Your 72 Mbyte Micropolis was probably an ST-506 interface.  The 190
MB Maxtor is probably an ESDI interface.  The cables look the same,
but you need a new controller card, such as the WD1007WA2.

--
Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (09/22/90)

In article <4396@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
=In article <1990Sep17.162754.462@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>I just (physically) replaced a 72MB Micropolis with a 190MB Maxtor
=>XT-2190 HD, same cables, same everything.
=>	"Hard disk unit 0 failure"
=
=Err umm.. perhaps the obvious solution.. hit F1 (or whatever) to continue,
=boot DOS from a diskette, and then run a low level format on the drive..

Well, that COULD have been the problem, but it turned out to be wrong
drive select jumpers!  ;-)

Moral:  There are many things that can cause failure.  The one that
happened to you is *not* the only one, no matter how comforting that
seems to be!  :-)

Pete