[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 8-bit v. 16-bit cards

jlaiho@cc.helsinki.fi (09/19/90)

In article <13728@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt4824a@prism.gatech.EDU (gt4824a BEKER,PAUL) writes:
> Can I plug an 8-bit card (i.e. a RLL controller, or a VGA card) into
> a physical 16-bit bus like those found on 2/386 machines?  Will the
> performance of either the card or the m'board suffer?
>
> Thanks!  Paul Beker  ..  gt4824a@prism.gatech.edu

NEVER even try to put an 8-bit hard-disk controller to a machine w
16-bit bus. I don't know whether or not it actually destroys something,
but definitely it won't work.

Display cards are okay, you can just fine put an 8-bit VGA card to AT
bus.

About the other card I say nothing.

Juha Laiho  jlaiho@cc.Helsinki.FI

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/19/90)

YES ! to the first question.

NO ! to the second question.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (09/19/90)

In article <3118.26f65e1e@cc.helsinki.fi> jlaiho@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
> In article <13728@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt4824a@prism.gatech.EDU (gt4824a BEKER,PAUL) writes:
> > Can I plug an 8-bit card (i.e. a RLL controller, or a VGA card) into
> > a physical 16-bit bus like those found on 2/386 machines?  Will the
> > performance of either the card or the m'board suffer?
> >
> > Thanks!  Paul Beker  ..  gt4824a@prism.gatech.edu
>
> NEVER even try to put an 8-bit hard-disk controller to a machine w
> 16-bit bus. I don't know whether or not it actually destroys something,
> but definitely it won't work.

Why not!?  I've seen it done many times. In fact many of the early AT clones
used 8-bit HD controller cards in their systems.  You will of course only
get 8-bit performance.

Disclaimer: My company knows not what I say (or do).

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com

RREED%ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (09/20/90)

In article <3118.26f65e1e@cc.helsinki.fi>, jlaiho@cc.helsinki.fi says:

>In article <13728@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt4824a@prism.gatech.EDU (gt4824a
>BEKER,PAUL) writes:
>> Can I plug an 8-bit card (i.e. a RLL controller, or a VGA card) into
>> a physical 16-bit bus like those found on 2/386 machines?  Will the
>> performance of either the card or the m'board suffer?
>>
>> Thanks!  Paul Beker  ..  gt4824a@prism.gatech.edu
>
>NEVER even try to put an 8-bit hard-disk controller to a machine w
>16-bit bus. I don't know whether or not it actually destroys something,
>but definitely it won't work.

Never say never!  Especially with computers.  You can use an 8-bit hard
drive controller card in an AT class machine *for 8-bit applications*
such as DOS.  But there is a little trick to doing this, you must tell
the AT setup program that you don't have a hard drive installed.  Then
you simply boot the system, use the low-level format on the controller card
and high-level format.  It works with most machines.  You tell the AT
that you don't have a hard drive installed so the BIOS on the 8-bit
controller can take over.
Reginald Reed -- Struggling Computer Science Student -- Does Bo Know Comp Sci??
BITNET=+> rreed@ucf1vm             INTERNET=+> rreed@{ucflan,ucf

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/21/90)

> NEVER even try to put an 8-bit hard-disk controller to a machine w
> 16-bit bus. I don't know whether or not it actually destroys something,
> but definitely it won't work.

Ignore this unless you have a real lame motherboard which don't use
the standard AT bus and force 16-bit operation on anything. Such best,
to the best of my knowledge, doesn't exist.

The AT bus is designed so that a 16 bit card will tell the motherboard
that it is 16 bit. Otherwise, operation is 8 bit. So, everything should
work fine.

Of course, standard disclaimer applies  :-).

pmwenzel@noggin.gg.caltech.edu (Pete Wenzel) (09/21/90)

>In article <3118.26f65e1e@cc.helsinki.fi> jlaiho@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>>
>> NEVER even try to put an 8-bit hard-disk controller to a machine w
>> 16-bit bus. I don't know whether or not it actually destroys something,
>> but definitely it won't work.

I read in a PC/Computing article that most 386 BIOS don't support 8-bit
disk controllers, but didn't know whether to believe it or not.  What about
a (Plus Development) HardCard?  I have one in an XT-clone and wish to use
it in a 386SX.  Is there any hope?

      ____                                                            ____
    _/    \     Pete Wenzel - Caltech Computer Graphics Group        /    \_
   / _     \__    ___    pmwenzel@egg.gg.caltech.edu        ________/     _ \
  | | \     ---\_/---\       home  (818) 577-9005         /---------     / | |
  | |_/     ----------\-^-^\ offc  (818) 356-6790 /^-^-^-/----------     \_| |
   \_      /===============/ FAX   (818) 793-9544 \=================\      _/
     \____/           Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena, CA 91125           \____/

bobd@right.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula) (09/21/90)

In article <pmwenzel.653861299@noggin> pmwenzel@noggin.gg.caltech.edu (Pete Wenzel) writes:

>I read in a PC/Computing article that most 386 BIOS don't support 8-bit
>disk controllers, but didn't know whether to believe it or not.  What about
>a (Plus Development) HardCard?  I have one in an XT-clone and wish to use
>it in a 386SX.  Is there any hope?

I can't speak for any other systems, but I personally am keying this
on an AT&T 6386 (16Mhz 386; the older Olivetti produced machine)
which has a Plus 20Mb hardcard installed as the second drive
(the primary drive is a 103Mb Fujitsu 2245E ESDI drive with a
WD1007-WA2 controller).  The built in floppy controller on the
motherboard has caused problems, but I haven't had any trouble
with the hardcard to speak of.  Some of the older Hardcards needed
a firmware upgrade (EPROM) to function with the AT bus, but as
far as I know that's the only problem (I *think* I still have
an upgrade kit laying around here somewhere that I didn't
need for my drive).

Back to the original post topic:

Other than for performance reasons, I can't imagine why you
couldn't use an 8-bit HD controller in a 16-bit slot
(I have used 8-bit cards of various sorts in 16-bit slots
on both the AT&T 6386 & on an IBM PC/XT-286, though I don't
remember using an 8-bit disk controller for any reason).
Aren't the SCSI host adaptors being sold by Seagate all
8-bit?  I haven't heard of any warnings not to use them
in AT bus slots......

Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's
Davros sez:   When my Daleks compute they use X-TER-MI-NALS!

jlaiho@cc.helsinki.fi (09/22/90)

In article <90262.150845RREED@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu>, RREED%ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu writes:
> In article <3118.26f65e1e@cc.helsinki.fi>, jlaiho@cc.helsinki.fi says:
>>
>>NEVER even try to put an 8-bit hard-disk controller to a machine w
>>16-bit bus. I don't know whether or not it actually destroys something,
>>but definitely it won't work.
>>
> Never say never!  Especially with computers.  You can use an 8-bit hard
  <<actual trick deleted>>

So, I blew that one, as a few others stated to me via mail. Thank you
all for correcting, and thank YOU for telling me the trick.

Juha Laiho  jlaiho@cc.Helsinki.FI

In article <3118.26f65e1e@cc.helsinki.fi> jlaiho@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

| NEVER even try to put an 8-bit hard-disk controller to a machine w
| 16-bit bus. I don't know whether or not it actually destroys something,
| but definitely it won't work.

  The first part of a 16bit AT bus is the old XT bus. I have run a
number of AT's with XT disk controllers. Whatever gave you the idea that
there was a problem. And I run several systems with 8 bit serial boards
in 16 bit slots.

  I'm told that it works even on the EISA bus, because one of the guys
at work has an 8 bit ethernet board in his 486EISA until the new card
comes in.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX