[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Barcode Systems -- Need recommendation

lopes@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (alann lopes) (09/21/90)

Hello -- I need to purchase a barcode reader and I need some
serious help. The system must be portable, must have a serial
connection, and must provide some C support. It must also work
with the Windows 3.0 environment.

Can anyone recommend some possibilities?

         thanks very much -- alann

         alopes@ucsd.edu    -- internet
         ALOPES@UCSD        -- bitnet

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (09/27/90)

In article <194@cogsci.ucsd.EDU> lopes@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (alann lopes) writes:

>Hello -- I need to purchase a barcode reader and I need some
>serious help. The system must be portable, must have a serial
>Can anyone recommend some possibilities?

I can tell you which brand NOT to buy. The Aedex is *very*
prone to die from static surges anywhere within a 5 mile
radius.

We had these units running next to Bonafide OEM readers and
the Aedex died if a thunder shower is anywhere near the area
while the other brand kept ticking.

Note: All connections were identical and yes we did have
data line (RS-232) surge protection and power line surge
protection.

The Aedex would require shipping back to the factory to
bring it back to life at *great* expense.

Beware of PC Magazine editor's choice dept:

Yes the Aedex received rave reviews in PC. However PC
does not address the reliability over the long term of
it's reviewed products. Only the users find that out.
--
uucp: holston!barton
pseudo: barton@holston.UUCP