[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Configuration Reporter?

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (09/20/90)

Hi.  I need to get a list of the addresses (memory and/or I/O), DNA
channels, and IRQs that the boards in my current system use, so I can
configure a Starlan board for this system.  Is there a tool that will
report these?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (09/20/90)

Qes. There are a couple of good ones available. The MANIFEST program, put out
by QuarterDeck, is a good one. Comes with their QEMM program, which a good
386-level memory manager. They also have QRAM for 8088 & 286 systems. You can g
et from PC Connection in N.H. for a good price.
   The new Norton Utilities 5.0 also has configuration information. Not
sure how much.
Bob Munzenrider, PSU-Harrisburg

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep20.033710.9824@mccc.uucp>, pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg)
writes:

>Hi.  I need to get a list of the addresses (memory and/or I/O), DNA
>channels, and IRQs that the boards in my current system use, so I can
>configure a Starlan board for this system.  Is there a tool that will
>report these?
>
>Thanks,
>Pete

Sure Pete,

I always use a program called CHECKIT.  It tells you you all IRQ,
memory map, DMA channels, etc., and also does individual component
checks.

If you going to do any installs, don't leave home without it.

Infoplus is pretty good. V1.25 was posted to cbip, v1.31 is in the queue.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

jwbirdsa@amc-gw.amc.com (James Birdsall) (09/25/90)

   Speaking of configuration reporters, the Norton Utilities 5.0 has a
program SYSINFO which is the same sort of thing, with many many pages of
information.

   Unfortunately, it's got a couple weak points as well. The SI program
(from Norton Advanced 4.5) knew that I had a second monitor and said so.
SYSINFO not only didn't say so, I didn't see anyplace for it to tell me. No
blank areas (the screen was *full*) or statements that it didn't detect
one. Since it told me that I didn't have a mouse (correct, since the driver
wasn't installed), it seems like each feature has its own place on the
screen and is marked "none" (or whatever) if it isn't present. And I didn't
see ANYTHING for a second monitor.
   Maybe they decided that too few people had them to be worth it? Maybe
they ran out of room on the screen? BTW, it did pick up the mono adapter's
RAM and report that, labeled as "extra memory".

   The really funny part was the hard drive benchmarks. All of these
tests were run on my IBM XT with a WD RLL controller. My main drive
is a Toshiba MK134 (? something like that -- 65M RLL) with a 768K disk cache
(in EMS). SYSINFO tried to tell me that the performance of this drive (with
cache) was roughly equivalent to a 386/33MHz machine. The second drive is a
Seagate ST283R; the cache applies to it as well. SYSINFO said that the
Seagate (with cache) was only slightly better than the original XT drive.
[That may well be true.]
   About half the test seemed to thrash the cache rather than the drive
itself, which obviously boosts the rating. But since it's the same cache on
both drives, it should improve the performance of both equally. The Toshiba
is a much faster drive than the Seagate, but it is not nearly as good as
the high-end drives typically shipped with high-end 386 machines!
   It is hard to say whether the problem is with the benchmarks themselves
or with the milestones. The Toshiba may be 5.7 times faster than the
Seagate (8.0 vs. 1.4, where XT=1.0)(although I'd be a bit surprised), and
the problem may lie with the milestone claiming that a drive on a 386/33 is
only 8.4 times faster than an XT.
   In fact, since a 386 machine could be matched with any drive, it's hard
to say how they came up with their 386 milestone at all. Even assuming that
their disk benchmark algorithms are a good measure of disk speed, the value
of a milestone labeled only "386/33" is questionable...

   Most of the configuration report was fine. As a configuration reporter,
SYSINFO is fair to good. But it looks like it has inherited SI's
speed-rating problems.

--
---
James W. Birdsall        jwbirdsa@amc.com         71261.1731@compuserve.com

bote@csense.uucp (John Boteler) (09/27/90)

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) claimed:

>I always use a program called CHECKIT.  It tells you you all IRQ,
>memory map, DMA channels, etc., and also does individual component
>checks.
>
>If you going to do any installs, don't leave home without it.

I wouldn't, if I only knew where to find it in the first place.

Thanx!

--
John Boteler   bote@csense.uucp           {uunet | ka3ovk}!media!csense!bote
SkinnyDipper's Hotline: 703-241-BARE | VOICE only, Touch-Tone(TM) signalling