[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] compatibility of VGA cards w/1 Meg with CGA and EGA

zou@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Qisu Zou) (09/17/90)

I'm planning to purchase a super VGA card (Orchid ProDesigner II). I'm leaning
towards 1 Meg of video memory, the reason is to allow 256 colors at 1024x768.
With 1 meg of memory I know the card supports all the standard and extended VGA
modes. But I was wondering if it also supports CGA and EGA modes since most of
my software are designed for CGA and EGA. I wouldn't want to invest a lot of
money in something that I won't have much use of. Any info is appriciated.
Please post to this group or mail me at nan@phobos.cis.ksu.edu, Thanks.

pauls@inco.UUCP (Paul Stygar) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep16.181219.14618@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> zou@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Qisu Zou) writes:
>I'm planning to purchase a super VGA card (Orchid ProDesigner II).
>.... I wouldn't want to invest a lot of
>money in something that I won't have much use of. Any info is appriciated.

Some super discount places have the pro-II at over $400 for the 1M version,
but some retail stores like SoftWarehouse have the 512K version at $239,
and the extra 512K can be purchased separately for a few bucks.

| UUCP:	{hadron, alembic, sundc}!inco.UUCP!pauls	  (Paul Stygar)	|
| MDESC, 8201 Greensboro Drive, McLean, VA 22102	 (703) 883-3998	|
| BEGIN_DISCLAIMER;_____The_views_expressed_by_me_in_no_way_reflect_the	|
| views_of_McDonnell_Douglas_or_its_subsidiaries._______END_DISCLAIMER;	|