[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] IDE/MFM drive and controller coexistence

nyount@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Nelson Yount) (09/18/90)

Does anyone out there know if it is possible to install an IDE drive and
controller and an MFM drive and controller in the same system?

My situation is this:  My 286 system came with a WD 40MB IDE drive.  I recently
obtained a used 32MB MFM drive that I would like to add, and borrowed an MFM
controller to see if I could get it to work.  By strapping the MFM controller
as the secondary hard drive controller, and by trial-and-error strapping of the
IDE controller, I finally got the two controllers to coexist without causing a
boot failure.  But when I add the new drive 1 through setup, I get a drive 1
failure at boot time, as if the system is looking for drive 1 through the IDE
controller and doesn't find it.  I know that the new drive and controller both
work because I tried them alone in the system without the IDE drive.  By the
way, I have an AMI BIOS and am running MS-DOS 3.3.

Is there something else I need to do to specify that drive 1 is to be accessed
through the MFM controller, or is this configuration just impossible?

A second question: The MFM drive has 8 heads and 512 cylinders.  The closest
drive type to this is type 7, with 8 heads and 462 cylinders.  I've heard that
type 47 could be used to specify a user-defined drive type, allowing you to
directly specify the number of heads and cylinders.  But setup just takes 47
and I'm never asked to provide this information.  Is there really a user
defined drive type, and how is it used?

Nelson Yount	nyount@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM
NCR Corp.
NPD-Columbia

ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) (09/25/90)

nyount@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Nelson Yount) writes:

>Does anyone out there know if it is possible to install an IDE drive and
>controller and an MFM drive and controller in the same system?
[stuff deleted]
>Nelson Yount	nyount@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM
>NCR Corp.
>NPD-Columbia

Never heard about this. The only Idea I have is to jumper the IDE drive as
master drive. (All IDE drives can be jumpered as master and as slave drive.)
CU, Markus
   Markus Illenseer                I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid, I can't do that.
     4790 Paderborn ,United Germany           Email: ill@uni-paderborn.de

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep24.190445.3643@uni-paderborn.de> ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:

> nyount@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Nelson Yount) writes:
>

> >Does anyone out there know if it is possible to install an IDE drive and
> >controller and an MFM drive and controller in the same system?
> [stuff deleted]
> >Nelson Yount	nyount@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM
> >NCR Corp.
> >NPD-Columbia
>
> Never heard about this. The only Idea I have is to jumper the IDE drive as
> master drive. (All IDE drives can be jumpered as master and as slave drive.)
> CU, Markus

I have an IDE controller card that will work as a secondary controller
with anything else as a primary.  It has an onboard BIOS to provide
the info to DOS about its existence.  I now have it running as a
primary with no problems.  In the next week or so I will be dropping
in an ESDI controller as primary and testing it out.  The controller
is made be Silicon Valley Computer.  I don't have there number on me
but if you're interested send me E-mail and I'll get it for you.  Hope
this helps...

srm
--

				Scott R. Myers

Snail:	26 Stiles Street			Phone:(201)882-3100
        Apartment 18
	Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu			Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm

		"... No matter where you go, there you are ..."

kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep24.190445.3643@uni-paderborn.de> ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:
* [deleted]
* master drive. (All IDE drives can be jumpered as master and as slave drive.)
-------
What do the terms "master" and "slave" mean for IDE?
------------
regardz,
Ken

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (09/27/90)

In article <965@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) writes:

> In article <1990Sep24.190445.3643@uni-paderborn.de> ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:
> * [deleted]
> * master drive. (All IDE drives can be jumpered as master and as slave drive.)
> -------
> What do the terms "master" and "slave" mean for IDE?
> ------------

Well in my experience with IDE so far I think it just simply states
the Drive Number not much different than other drive types.  Usually
on other drives you would set the drive number for 1 or 2 to specify
which drive it is on the controller.  Or more commonly with PC based
systems both drives are set for 2(???) and there is a twist in the
data cable that inverts the signal for one of the drives to look like
a drive 1.  IDE is the same as far as I know.  They just change the
wording and there is no twisted in the cable.  Hope this helps...

srm
--

ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) (09/28/90)

kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) writes:

>In article <1990Sep24.190445.3643@uni-paderborn.de> ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:
>* [deleted]
>* master drive. (All IDE drives can be jumpered as master and as slave drive.)
>-------
>What do the terms "master" and "slave" mean for IDE?
>------------
>regardz,
>Ken
Hi Ken! Yo! This is an interessting thing! Allmost all IDE-Drives have jumpers
on to jumper them as master and slave. Master is the drive on wich the
controller is working. The slave drive is this one which controller is dis-
abled. In other words: IDE drives have their controller already included
(embedded). So if you connect two drives, you only need one controller.
With these jumpers, you can enable or disable the controller.
If you connect two drives you have to look wich controller you like to enable.
Sometimes you must enable the slowest controller, because the seek-time can not
be increased just because you use a new controller.

The Master-Slave ratio is something like (in easy way) the ID's on normal
MFM or RLL Drives. (ID 0 for first, ID 1 for second drive).

You have to jumper the drives, because you can't run both controllers at the
same time (say with another, second IDE-Hostadaptor). In AT  with Setup, you
sometimes have problems with user-defined types. Check out first, when you buy
new drive.
Hope this help you, and others !

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (09/29/90)

In article <965@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM>, kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) writes:
> In article <1990Sep24.190445.3643@uni-paderborn.de> ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:
> * [deleted]
> * master drive. (All IDE drives can be jumpered as master and as slave drive.)
> -------
> What do the terms "master" and "slave" mean for IDE?

IDE drives contain an integral disk controller which is the equivalent
of a normal disk controller.  Most can support 2 drives and most systems
only support one controller, so you set your second drive to "slave" to
disable its controller (that you had to buy since it's integral) and use
the controller on the "master" drive instead.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
You don't get to be Mom if you can't fix everything just right. -- Calvin