[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Quantum 40AT Info Needed

stretch@EMUNIX.EMICH.EDU (Brian Stretch) (09/22/90)

I've got a Quantum 40AT IDE drive that  I need specs for.  # of heads, tracks,
sectors, etc.  Or perhaps just Quantum's phone #.  Thanks..
     ---Brian Stretch (stretch@emunix.emich.edu)

gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) (09/24/90)

In article <9009221643.AA14124@emunix.emich.edu>, stretch@EMUNIX.EMICH.EDU (Brian Stretch) writes...
>I've got a Quantum 40AT IDE drive that  I need specs for.  # of heads, tracks,
>sectors, etc.  Or perhaps just Quantum's phone #.  Thanks..
>     ---Brian Stretch (stretch@emunix.emich.edu)

	It just so happens tha I have that info-

	965 logical cylinders
	17 sectors/track
	5 logical heads

	/s/	Bob

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (09/24/90)

In article <9009221643.AA14124@emunix.emich.edu> stretch@EMUNIX.EMICH.EDU (Brian Stretch) writes:
> I've got a Quantum 40AT IDE drive that  I need specs for.  # of heads, tracks,
> sectors, etc.  Or perhaps just Quantum's phone #.  Thanks..

With the Quantum Prodrive 40AT use 965 cylinders, 5 r/w heads, and 17 sectors/T.
This is the logical format.  It physically has 834 cylinders, 3 r/w heads
26 sectors/t.

If your system's drive table does not have the logical format drive type,
choose a type with the same logical heads and a capacity less than or equal to
40 megs.

Note: low level format is not needed.

Disclaimer: My company knows not what I say (or do).

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com

peng@chaource.cs.wisc.edu (PENG) (09/28/90)

In article <14605@cbmvax.commodore.com> brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) writes:
>With the Quantum Prodrive 40AT use 965 cylinders, 5 r/w heads, and 17 sectors/T.
>This is the logical format.  It physically has 834 cylinders, 3 r/w heads
>26 sectors/t.

Hmm...  965*5*17 = 82025  834*3*26 = 65052  I don't get this.  Where do
these extra 17000 sectors come from?  Am I missing anything?

-peng
--
+--------

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (10/02/90)

In article <11371@spool.cs.wisc.edu> peng@chaource.cs.wisc.edu (PENG) writes:
> In article <14605@cbmvax.commodore.com> brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) writes:
> >With the Quantum Prodrive 40AT use 965 cylinders, 5 r/w heads, and 17 sectors/T.
> >This is the logical format.  It physically has 834 cylinders, 3 r/w heads
> >26 sectors/t.
>
> Hmm...  965*5*17 = 82025  834*3*26 = 65052  I don't get this.  Where do
> these extra 17000 sectors come from?  Am I missing anything?

 My mistake, the Quantum 40AT uses RLL 2,7 encoding which without thinking I
 gave it 26 sectors.  As you may know this is not always the case.  The 40AT
 has diff. number of sectors depending on the location of the sectors (more in
 outer tracks, less in inner).  I don't know how many zones are used or the #
 of sectors in each zone.

 Thanks.