[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Problem while expanding memory

sankar@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Sriram Sankar) (10/02/90)

Hi Folks,

I have a problem with my IBM AT clone.  If I get half the responses I got
when I posted a hard-disk problem, my clone will be up and running in no time.
So, please send out those comments/suggestions!

My machine was working well with 4MB of memory.  I bought 4MB of DRAMS and
plugged it in to get a total of 8MB of memory.  The POST aborted after about
6MB.  On subsequent boots the hard disk or hard disk controller stopped
working, then the floppy stopped working and so on.  Its like a virus has
started eating away my computer.

Here is the messages during boot:

Phoenix 80386 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 00
Copyright (C) 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved

80 DATA
We develop speed and resolution

640K Base Memory  05120K Extended Memory
Memory data line failure at 600000-60FFFF
   Decreasing available memory

The first couple of times, my machine went on to reboot without any
further problems, then the disks stopped working.  I went back to
Frys (Bay Area) where I purchased the chips and got them checked and
exchanged, but the exact same problem remained.

I removed all boards from the expansion slot except the VGA controller,
but the problem still did not go away.

Please send me any suggestions you have!

Much appreciated! Thanks,

Sriram.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct1.182502.10975@Neon.Stanford.EDU> sankar@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Sriram Sankar) writes:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I have a problem with my IBM AT clone.  If I get half the responses I got
>when I posted a hard-disk problem, my clone will be up and running in no time.
>So, please send out those comments/suggestions!
>
>My machine was working well with 4MB of memory.  I bought 4MB of DRAMS and
>plugged it in to get a total of 8MB of memory.  The POST aborted after about
>6MB.  On subsequent boots the hard disk or hard disk controller stopped
>working, then the floppy stopped working and so on.  Its like a virus has
>started eating away my computer.
>
>Here is the messages during boot:
>

>Phoenix 80386 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 00
>Copyright (C) 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
>All Rights Reserved
>
>80 DATA
>We develop speed and resolution
>
>640K Base Memory  05120K Extended Memory
>Memory data line failure at 600000-60FFFF
>   Decreasing available memory
>

>The first couple of times, my machine went on to reboot without any
>further problems, then the disks stopped working.  I went back to
>Frys (Bay Area) where I purchased the chips and got them checked and
>exchanged, but the exact same problem remained.
>
>I removed all boards from the expansion slot except the VGA controller,
>but the problem still did not go away.
>
>Please send me any suggestions you have!

Possibly in the act of putting the memory in/out, you loosened something.
Reseat ALL boards and check ALL cable connections.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254