[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Connecting multiple floppies to an AT

krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) (10/02/90)

I'm having terrible problems connecting more than two floppyes
to my AT-clone.

I'm recently having an ST-02 SCSI adaptor, which supports two floppies.

If I try to plug in another controller for a floppy the new controller
and drives connected to it is not available at all.

Is is possible in any way - without throwing my ST-02 away..

Thanks,

Kresten Krab Thorup

Please E-mail: krab@iesd.auc.dk

kaldis@emerald.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (10/02/90)

In article <KRAB.90Oct1205649@student.iesd.auc.dk> krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:

> I'm having terrible problems connecting more than two floppyes
> to my AT-clone.

> I'm recently having an ST-02 SCSI adaptor, which supports two floppies.

> If I try to plug in another controller for a floppy the new controller
> and drives connected to it is not available at all.

> Is is possible in any way - without throwing my ST-02 away..

It is possible, but not easy.  You must obtain a second floppy
controller with adjustable address lines.  And then you must also run
a device driver to access the extra floppy drives (hopefully, one will
come with the controller).  Such controllers are available, but you
have to hunt for them.  You may have to special order it, and it will
probably not be cheap.
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away

[the phone is soon to follow, as I will soon depart for California]

In article <KRAB.90Oct1205649@student.iesd.auc.dk> krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:

| I'm having terrible problems connecting more than two floppyes
| to my AT-clone.

| Is is possible in any way - without throwing my ST-02 away..

  The only way I am sure it will work is to get a 4 floppy controller
and HD controller with no floppies. However, people do make floppy
controllers with alternate port addresses, I've seen the address info in
various places. You do have to readdress the 2nd controller. If you're
running UNIX you have a worse problem with configuring the interrupt,
too.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

angelini@apollo.HP.COM (Bob Angelini) (10/03/90)

You need a device driver (not DOS's driveprm.sys) to control the
secondary floppy controler. There are several third party generic
floppy drivers available. One that comes to mind is from Manzana.
I don't know their phone number but I beleave they are on the west
coast. Future Domain and DTC ships one with some of their SCSI/floppy
controlers.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (10/03/90)

In article <Oct.1.22.19.34.1990.15632@emerald.rutgers.edu> kaldis@emerald.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) writes:
>In article <KRAB.90Oct1205649@student.iesd.auc.dk> krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:
>
>> I'm having terrible problems connecting more than two floppyes
>> to my AT-clone.
>
>> I'm recently having an ST-02 SCSI adaptor, which supports two floppies.
>
>> If I try to plug in another controller for a floppy the new controller
>> and drives connected to it is not available at all.
>
>> Is is possible in any way - without throwing my ST-02 away..
>
>It is possible, but not easy.  You must obtain a second floppy
>controller with adjustable address lines.  And then you must also run
>a device driver to access the extra floppy drives (hopefully, one will
>come with the controller).  Such controllers are available, but you
>have to hunt for them.  You may have to special order it, and it will
>probably not be cheap.

This is not a problem. I did the same thing a while back. I have an Adaptec
AHA1542B SCSI controller that supports two floppies. I use that to control a
1.2M floppy and an Everex Floppy tape backup (uses floppy B). I also wanted to
add a 1.44M 3.5" floppy. I got the "intelligent" floppy controller from JDR
microdevices (in San Jose, look in Byte or computer shopper for mail-order
info on them.) This card not only is switchable to respond as the Aux floppy
(3,4), but also has onboard BIOS to install any floppies it finds into the
BIOS drive table, so the 3.5" shows up at boot time as drive C.

Oh yeah, the price? $49

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254