[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Leave the PC on vs. Power it off daily?

dixon@pdn.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) (09/18/90)

With todays pc hardware, exactly how dangerous is each power cycle?
If you power your office unit off every night, are you in for early
hardware failures?  Or is this all propaganda spread by electric power
companies?

I propose this assuming an ibm pc clone, with hard drive, utilized five
days a week.  Currently, some people around our plant are recommending
that we shut all the equipment off to save on the power bill, and I'm
afraid that this is not the best idea.

I seem to remember that a few years ago, the recommendation was that if
a pc was going to be on five days a week, you were wise to leave it on
all of the time.  The power used was insignificant next to repair costs
from drive failures and hardware problems related to frequent power
cycling.  The act of powering up in those units was apparently very
hard on the hardware.

But today we have newer (and better?) units.  So with current
technology, what's the story?

--
Thomas M. Dixon Jr.				dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
Software Engineer				uunet!pdn!dixon

chooft@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Rob Hooft) (09/18/90)

In <1990Sep17.205845.12803@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
(Tom Dixon) writes:

>With todays pc hardware, exactly how dangerous is each power cycle?
>If you power your office unit off every night, are you in for early
>hardware failures?  Or is this all propaganda spread by electric power
>companies?

I run an XT since 17 feb 87, and upgraded with harddisk at 27 feb 87. This
machine is powered up and down at least once a day, usually more, at least
six days a week. I never had a problem.

--
Rob Hooft, Chemistry department University of Utrecht.
hooft@hutruu54.bitnet hooft@chem.ruu.nl chooft@fys.ruu.nl

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (09/18/90)

Power On and Off a PC puts the most wear on your hard drives.  The spin down
and spin up of the platters causes the spindle to wear out.  Leaving the
system on all the time allows the spindle to spin with less friction, thus
less wear.

As for the components of the computer (ie. the silicon chips), the power spikes
induced by a power on decrease its life (this is more so with the denser VLSI
chips because of the narrower width of the electrical lines).

The problem with leaving PCs on is the load that is induced on the transformers
out in the street.  PCs use a switching power supply; what this means is that
the power supply switches "on and off" 60 cycles per second.  This does NOT
mean that the PC turns on and off 60 times every second.  Because of this
"on and off" of the switching power supply, a larger load is demanded from
the transformers (due to lots of small sudden demands for power).

Ultimately, what should you do?  Leave it on or turn if off daily?
Well, my suggestion is ... if you use the computer a lot (ie. more than 10
hours a day) and use the hard drive a lot during this time (ie. not sitting
in your word processor all day, but doing reads/writes), I would leave it on.
Otherwise, I'd turn them off at night.  I use my PC about 8-10 hours a day
with about a lot of reading/writing; I still turn off my PC when I don't plan
on using it for several hours.  Besides, it saves on the electric bill and
lowers the chances of getting spikes and brown-outs.

Remember, this is my opinion only.
      __________                                ___
     /          \                          /   /    /_/ / /\/
    _/  /   /   /                       __/.  /__  / / / / /
   /     /     /
  /           / Happy Computing ...     ARPAnet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /                          BITnet:  jc58@andrew
 \__________/                           UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
 Computer Dr.

Disclaimer:   The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.

art@wciu.EDU (Art Nicolaysen) (09/19/90)

>In <1990Sep17.205845.12803@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
>(Tom Dixon) writes:
>
>With todays pc hardware, exactly how dangerous is each power cycle?
>If you power your office unit off every night, are you in for early
>hardware failures?  Or is this all propaganda spread by electric power
>companies?

Having worked in a large multiuser environment, my prejudice is to
leave a computer powered up unless setup, repairs, etc. dictate
otherwise.  I have never observed 24-hour operation as a sole cause of
downtime for computers or peripherals.

I leave my machine on all the time because:

1)  The hassle factor is less for paying power bills* than for getting
    dead equipment repaired or replaced.
2)  Equipment will become obsolete before rotating parts (e.g., disk
    drive bearings) fail.
3)  A constant application of power doesn't stress non-moving (ICs,
    resistors, etc) components as much as power cycling does (consider
    the thermal stresses caused by heating/cooling).
4)  Subjective experience.  In my last job, over a 2.5 year period,
    I replaced 1 terminal in office A vs 4 terminals in office B.
    The difference?  The users in Office A left their terminals on all
    the time (after an explanation of the above points).  The other
    users insisted on powering down every night.
5)  Varied inflammatory arguments that have resulted in shouting
    matches and are best confined to alt.religion.computers.

In any case, I am a strong advocate of powering down the monitor if
no screensaver utility is available.  Images burned into the screen
are inimical to getting work done.

BTW, I see this as more of an emotional than a factual decision.  In
our office, we have a mixture of XTs, ATs and 386s.  Half the users
leave their machines on all the time, and the rest turn them off
at the end of the day.

* The utility bills vs. repair bills analysis is left as an exercise
for the reader.  Failure rate analysis... I don't have the statistics
to attempt it.  Anybody got some?

--
Art Nicolaysen          William Carey Int'l University (Global Mapping)
art@wciu.edu            Pasadena CA 91104

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) (09/19/90)

In article <1480@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl> chooft@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Rob Hooft) writes:
>In <1990Sep17.205845.12803@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
>(Tom Dixon) writes:
>
>>With todays pc hardware, exactly how dangerous is each power cycle?
>>If you power your office unit off every night, are you in for early
>>hardware failures?  Or is this all propaganda spread by electric power
>>companies?
>
>I run an XT since 17 feb 87, and upgraded with harddisk at 27 feb 87. This
>machine is powered up and down at least once a day, usually more, at least
>six days a week. I never had a problem.
>
>--
>Rob Hooft, Chemistry department University of Utrecht.
>hooft@hutruu54.bitnet hooft@chem.ruu.nl chooft@fys.ruu.nl

We had a discussion on this topic some months ago on the net. The general
concensus was that with the newer, better designed power supplies, it
is okay to turn the machine off and on more often than once a day.

Some years ago, it would have been smarter to leave your computer on
all the time because the power supplies would allow such large surges
through the machine on power-up.

Unless the power supply is faulty to begin with, five years down the line,
you will have moved up to a new computer with a new power supply to begin
again with.

--
"No one had the guts... until now..."
|-"psychotic" $anjay [+] $ingh	ssingh@watserv1.[u]waterloo.{edu|cdn}/[ca] -|

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep17.205845.12803@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@pdn.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) writes:

>With todays pc hardware, exactly how dangerous is each power cycle?
Tell me, o' swami, how likely is it that I will be struck by lightening......
I doubt that anyone can tell you EXACTLY how dangerous the power cycle is.

>If you power your office unit off every night, are you in for early
>hardware failures?  Or is this all propaganda spread by electric power
>companies?
>I seem to remember that a few years ago, the recommendation was that if
>a pc was going to be on five days a week, you were wise to leave it on
>all of the time.
>But today we have newer (and better?) units.  So with current
>technology, what's the story?
From the tone of your article, I think you have a pretty good idea already
that things have changed some since the original recommendation was
formulated.  It has survived, in part, from the time when things like
tubes took a thermal shock going from room temp. to several hundred
degrees in a few seconds. That situation doesn't really apply anymore
(at least not to the same degree).

This has been kind of a pet peeve with me for several years and I have
a lot of very specific opinions on the subject.  Most of those opinions
have been summed up quite nicely by people who are highly respected in the
trade journals lately.  I have seen two articles where both authors concluded
that "on at 8, off at 5" is a good compromise in most average situations.
I wish I could name the mags and authors but I read so MANY things........
If you really want to hear a more detailed opinion, drop me a mail message.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep19.144759.7880@watserv1.waterloo.edu> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) writes:
>In article <1480@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl> chooft@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Rob Hooft) writes:
>>In <1990Sep17.205845.12803@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
>>(Tom Dixon) writes:
>>
>>>With todays pc hardware, exactly how dangerous is each power cycle?
>>>If you power your office unit off every night, are you in for early
>>>hardware failures?  Or is this all propaganda spread by electric power
>>>companies?
>>
>>I run an XT since 17 feb 87, and upgraded with harddisk at 27 feb 87. This
>>machine is powered up and down at least once a day, usually more, at least
>>six days a week. I never had a problem.
>>
>>--
>>Rob Hooft, Chemistry department University of Utrecht.
>>hooft@hutruu54.bitnet hooft@chem.ruu.nl chooft@fys.ruu.nl
>
>We had a discussion on this topic some months ago on the net. The general
>concensus was that with the newer, better designed power supplies, it
>is okay to turn the machine off and on more often than once a day.
>
>Some years ago, it would have been smarter to leave your computer on
>all the time because the power supplies would allow such large surges
>through the machine on power-up.
>
>Unless the power supply is faulty to begin with, five years down the line,
>you will have moved up to a new computer with a new power supply to begin
>again with.

It isn't so much the power surges that can cause damage, but internal parts,
(especially CPU's) generate heat and run up to 50 degrees C (at junction)
hotter than room temperature. When you turn the system off, it cools down. Turn
it on, it heats up. This thermal cycling definitely DOES have a detrimental
effect on the part, mainly the package stresses and the lead bonding to the
die inside.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (09/26/90)

>>In <1990Sep17.205845.12803@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
>>(Tom Dixon) writes:
>>With todays pc hardware, exactly how dangerous is each power cycle?
>>If you power your office unit off every night, are you in for early
>>hardware failures?  Or is this all propaganda spread by electric power
On page 32 on the Sept 24 INFOWORLD, Steve Gibson (of Gibson Research and
SpinRite fame) discusses several aspects of this long running debate.
He says "I have determined that hard disk-based personal computer
workstations should never be turned off." Near the end of the article
he modifies that stance somewhat, but in the bulk of the article he talks
of hard disk heads jerking on power-up, surge currents in motors, CRT
filiments and other parts. Thermal cycling may have been more obvious
in the days of vacuum tubes, but have you ever put your finger on some of
the large chips in your PC? You can cook eggs on some of them! He also
quotes hard disk manufacturers say that thermal cycling is harder on bearings
that continous operation. 		-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (09/26/90)

In an earlier post, I offered to elaborate on my opinions and at least one
user took me up on the offer and suggested I post instead of mail so this
is for Michiel de Vries, et al:
The best discussion I have seen recently on the subject is in PC MAGAZINE,
Vol. 9, Num. 15, Sept. 11, 1990 in the ADVISOR section on page 27.
Although I am not (necessarily) endorsing this publication or the author,
in this case I am in general agreement with this article.

I subscribe to the "on at 8, off at 5" theory of operation.  I believe that
in most "average" situations, the dangers of leaving things powered on
overnight and weekends outweighs the perceived benefit of avoiding the
once a day thermal cycle.  A constantly running machine draws in a LOT of
dust and dirt.  It is vulnerable to power line fluctuations and being
bumped by the janitor.  It is more vulnerable to prying eyes and fingers.
It also wastes a LOT of power.  There is a small but real posibility that
something will short out and start a fire.

Regardless of what you do to the CPU, I think there is common agreement
that CRTs should be shut off when not in use for prolonged periods.
A screen blanker is better than nothing but the guns in a CRT somethimes
wear out from extended use too.

robertb@cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) (09/26/90)

In article <8axQEga00VY642bGAb@andrew.cmu.edu> jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:
>Power On and Off a PC puts the most wear on your hard drives.  The spin down
>and spin up of the platters causes the spindle to wear out.  Leaving the
>system on all the time allows the spindle to spin with less friction, thus
>less wear.

I've seen this claim before, but never the hard data to back it up.  At
least you have to have some rough equivalence between power cycles and
hours of continuous operation.  What you and others suggest, without
meaning to, I imagine, is that it is better to leave a PC on for a year
than to turn it on for a minute, then off, and leave it for the rest of
the year.  It seems unlikely that this is true.  If it isn't, make it
ten years, or a hundred that the computer is left off after the single
power cycle.

>As for the components of the computer (ie. the silicon chips), the power spikes
>induced by a power on decrease its life (this is more so with the denser VLSI
>chips because of the narrower width of the electrical lines).

What power spikes "induced by a power on"?  I've been looking at power
supply outputs with scopes on and off for twenty years and I've never
seen under or over shoot at power on or off in a commercial supply or
one that I designed.  I'm not saying that it never happens, but you
talk as if it is a fact of life.  And what this has to do with narrower
metal lines I can not imagine.  Do the few milliseconds during which
a power supply rail come up contribute to electromigration?  This seems
far fetched to me.  Do you think it blows holes in the narrower silicon
oxide gates?  I really doubt that.

>The problem with leaving PCs on is the load that is induced on the transformers
>out in the street.  PCs use a switching power supply; what this means is that
>the power supply switches "on and off" 60 cycles per second.  This does NOT
>mean that the PC turns on and off 60 times every second.  Because of this
>"on and off" of the switching power supply, a larger load is demanded from
>the transformers (due to lots of small sudden demands for power).

This makes no sense to me at all.  What is the problem w/ a switching
supply and power transformers that supply them?  Switching supplies
typically switch at 20 to 30 KHz, not 60 Hz.  Who is this a problem for?
The power company?  The computer user?

>Ultimately, what should you do?  Leave it on or turn if off daily?
>Well, my suggestion is ... if you use the computer a lot (ie. more than 10
>hours a day) and use the hard drive a lot during this time (ie. not sitting
>in your word processor all day, but doing reads/writes), I would leave it on.

Intuition, often a fine thing, but what is this intuition based on?

>Otherwise, I'd turn them off at night.  I use my PC about 8-10 hours a day
>with about a lot of reading/writing; I still turn off my PC when I don't plan
>on using it for several hours.  Besides, it saves on the electric bill and
>lowers the chances of getting spikes and brown-outs.
>
>Remember, this is my opinion only.

But so much is stated as if it were fact.

I am not saying that leaving your computer on all the time is a bad
idea.  I am taking issue with the assertions made Mr. Chin in support
of his suggestion.

	Robert Bedichek   robertb@cs.washington.edu

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (09/28/90)

In article <8axQEga00VY642bGAb@andrew.cmu.edu> jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:
>Power On and Off a PC puts the most wear on your hard drives.  The spin down
>and spin up of the platters causes the spindle to wear out.  Leaving the
>system on all the time allows the spindle to spin with less friction, thus
>less wear.
>
>As for the components of the computer (ie. the silicon chips), the power spikes
>induced by a power on decrease its life (this is more so with the denser VLSI
>chips because of the narrower width of the electrical lines).

The problem is more due to thermal expansion/contraction as the chips heat up
and cool of with power on/off. A good power supply "glitches" very little.

>The problem with leaving PCs on is the load that is induced on the transformers
>out in the street.  PCs use a switching power supply; what this means is that
>the power supply switches "on and off" 60 cycles per second.  This does NOT
>mean that the PC turns on and off 60 times every second.  Because of this
>"on and off" of the switching power supply, a larger load is demanded from
>the transformers (due to lots of small sudden demands for power).

This is simply not correct. First of all, the "switching" section of the supply
is powered by DC, after the AC line as been rectified and filtered. The
filtering (using large capacitors) masks any load changes caused by the
switching action of the supply. Second, switching supplies switch MUCH faster
than 60Hz, more along the line of 50Khz and up. Generally, the higher the
frequency, the smaller the power supply (to a point) because the inductors
used are smaller.

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Gregory Ebert) (09/28/90)

 poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) writes:

>This is simply not correct. First of all, the "switching" section of the supply
>is powered by DC, after the AC line as been rectified and filtered. The
>filtering (using large capacitors) masks any load changes caused by the
>switching action of the supply.

There IS a problem, though, with the rectifier section: It makes NASTY current
spikes when the capacitor charges (briefly).

There was a large fire in downtown LA which was attributed to the switchmode
power supplies in PC's (Union Bank building, not ARCO tower). The power
distribution system assumed balanced 3-phase loads, but many of the PC's,
which have a non-unity power factor, caused a large imbalance in the power
system. This results in a large current in the neutral line, which would
normally be zero, and an electrical fire started. The degree of imbalance
peaked at night because PC's were left on, while lights and air-conditioning
equipment were cut back.

                                                                 #####
{uunet!tektronix!gold!grege}     Register to vote, then        ##  |  ##
grege@gold.gvg.tek.com           vote responsibly             #    |    #
							      #   /|\   #
Support the First Amendment, not the party that attacks it     #/  |  \#
"I was, BANNED in the USA" - 2 Live Crew                        #######

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (10/03/90)

>>>With todays pc hardware, exactly how dangerous is each power cycle?
>>>If you power your office unit off every night, are you in for early
>>>hardware failures?  Or is this all propaganda spread by electric power
>On page 32 on the Sept 24 INFOWORLD, Steve Gibson (of Gibson Research and
>SpinRite fame) discusses several aspects of this long running debate.
>He says "I have determined that hard disk-based personal computer
>workstations should never be turned off." [...]

Considering some of the lame and stupid things Spinrite does I wouldn't
put too much stalk in Gibson's word on the subject.  If you use Spinrite
with the defaults it will try to bring factory-bad-blocks back into use.
If you do something that stupid you'd have good reason to keep things
powered up for maximum temperature stability, etc.

I prefer leaving things powered up myself, but here it's also for some
protection against humidity.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com