[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] S/36 info sought

cpolishe@nyx.UUCP (Chuck Polisher) (09/25/90)

I'm looking for a comparison of the IBM S/36 to 386/486 based
systems.  Whetstones, Dhrystones, MIPS, even clock speed would
be helpful.  Thanks 1E6.

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (09/27/90)

in article <2149@nyx.UUCP>, cpolishe@nyx.UUCP (Chuck Polisher) says:

> I'm looking for a comparison of the IBM S/36 to 386/486 based
> systems.  Whetstones, Dhrystones, MIPS, even clock speed would
> be helpful.  Thanks 1E6.

A performance comparison doesn't matter, or the user would likely not be
using an IBM System 36 anymore.
The question is whether you can get any machine to run RPG as it exists
on the System 36.
	I should put a big ;-) all around that one.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM            (408) 435-5293

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (09/27/90)

In article <2149@nyx.UUCP>, cpolishe@nyx.UUCP (Chuck Polisher) writes:

>I'm looking for a comparison of the IBM S/36 to 386/486 based
>systems.  Whetstones, Dhrystones, MIPS, even clock speed would
>be helpful.  Thanks 1E6.

Well Chuck,

You are not serious with this question are you.  This is not even like
comparing apples to oranges.  It is more like comparing apples to rocks.
Besides the fact that S/36 can come in many models and configurations, and
depending on how you put all these factors together you can have a PC like
performance to one that can do serious work, like running a warehouse
distribution system.

Simply, the S/36 is designed as a small general business machine in a
multi-users environment.  It has greater flexibility in terms of hooking
peripherrals, like remote terminal controllers and printers, disks, tapes,
and yes, PC LAN interface too.  While a 386/486, even with a multitasking
O/S installed like UNIX, is meant to be for a single user (workstation).
I know some can argue that you can make this into a multiuser systems by
attaching async terminals (Wyse 50, VT100, IBM 3101) to the PC.  All I can
say is that try it and see how great it works.

Now, I know of a outfit that make a S/36 emulator, called Baby 36, that
runs on 286/386/486.  But, this is a different subject.

Paul

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (10/04/90)

In article <27292@bellcore.bellcore.com> louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) writes:
>In article <2149@nyx.UUCP>, cpolishe@nyx.UUCP (Chuck Polisher) writes:
>>I'm looking for a comparison of the IBM S/36 to 386/486 based
>>systems.  Whetstones, Dhrystones, MIPS, even clock speed would
>You are not serious with this question are you.  This is not even like
>comparing apples to oranges.  It is more like comparing apples to rocks.
>Besides the fact that S/36 can come in many models and configurations, and
>depending on how you put all these factors together you can have a PC like
>performance to one that can do serious work, like running a warehouse
>distribution system.
>Simply, the S/36 is designed as a small general business machine in a
>multi-users environment.  It has greater flexibility in terms of hooking
>peripherrals, like remote terminal controllers and printers, disks, tapes,
>and yes, PC LAN interface too.  While a 386/486, even with a multitasking
>O/S installed like UNIX, is meant to be for a single user (workstation).
>I know some can argue that you can make this into a multiuser systems by
>attaching async terminals (Wyse 50, VT100, IBM 3101) to the PC.  All I can
>say is that try it and see how great it works.

I started to resist, but I said what the hey....

First, this is a tough comparison.  It IS two different worlds.
But I have to take great exception to the implication that the Sys/36
is MADE for serious work!!

I have worked around a lot of System/36's and they were designed to
be BATCH machines with 64K partitions and by TODAY"S standards
they are SLOW, Resource HOGS, and not well suited to online applications.,

We have MANY sites running SCO Xenix/Unix on (PC's) 386 16mhz-33mhz
with intelligent I/O multiport cards and the performance is not even
close.  The PC's "blow the doors" off of a System 36.  And when you
consider price, there is again NO COMPARISON.

As far as expandability, I am not aware of anything that cannot be
accomplished on a PC with a Xenix system that the System 36 can do.
Even RPG can be run on a PC (although I am sure why you would want to,
(this is MY opinion here)).

The only reason for the continued use of a System/36 is for the
saving of software investment that you already have.

If you don't beleive what I am saying, just run one of the office
products like DisplayWrite/36 on, say 3 terminals at once.  You will
notice the System/36 is on it's knees and groaning.  Now if that is what
you call performance, have fun.

I am not completely unbiased in this comparison, and have expressed
my personal opinions.  Flames to /dev/null