[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] RLL,sector remapping

rfutscher@pbs.org (10/04/90)

In article <3343@amc-gw.amc.com>, jwbirdsa@amc-gw.amc.com (James Birdsall) writes:
>    I just ran into an interesting problem with an RLL drive.
>
>    I have a Toshiba MK134 and a Western Digital RLL controller (8-bit, I
> forgot to look at the model the last time I had the computer open). The
> Toshiba is ~65M and has 7 heads. When the RLL 26 sectors/track are remapped
> to 17 sectors/track, the number of cylinders is still under the BIOS limit
> of 1024.
>    I just tried to install a Mitsubishi MR535. It is the same size but only
> has 5 heads, so the number of remapped cylinders is well over 1024, making
> about 22M inaccessible.
>    I tried Disk Manager (came with the drive) as a last ditch; it tried to
> tell the controller BIOS to not remap the drive, but returned with the
> message "THE CONTROLLER BIOS DOES NOT SUPPORT NONSTANDARD CONFIGURATIONS."
>
>    So, even through I'm running the drive RLL, I'm only getting ~44M (which
> is the MFM rating!). And Disk Manager (which I don't want to run but I want
> the extra space more) can't help with my present controller.
>
>    So, can somebody point me at an 8-bit RLL controller that CAN handle
> nonstandard configurations?

	I had the same problem when I installed my 60 meg drive. I found the
following solutions:
	1) Use disk manager or another program. When I tried this I kept
haveing problems with programs, ie disk utilities. Booting from floppies is a
pain because disk manager has to be on all your bootable floppies.
	2) Buy a newer BIOS that supports your drive/controler combination. My
hardware is a little  different and I did not think I could find a updated,
compatable BIOS.
	3) There are shareware programs to change your BIOS. Of course you have
to be able to reprogram EPROMs.
	4) Buy a BIOS extention. I had unused EPROM sockets on my mother board
so I tried this solution. I have been very happy with the results. My RLL
controler and hard disk is now suported by my BIOS. I did have to give up some
memory locations between 640k  and 1  meg.

	If you want the name of the company that made my BIOS extention let me
know.
			rfutscher@pbs.org