[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Bernoulli box on a 386

cox@software.org (Guy Cox) (10/03/90)

Has anyone in netland put a 2x20 Bernoulli Box on a 386 class machine?
How fast can I expect to run it. Should I make sure that the machine has
programable bus waits etc. to run with the XT vintage controller card?
Does there exist a device driver for this device for either SCO or
Interactive Unix ?

I know the hardware is out of date, but I got a brand new box and
controller card for a 2 consulting job.  :)

Does anyone have any spare 20Meg cartridges for sale?  The supply here
has dried up.
--
//
//Remember; Tuesday is Soylent green day!

Guy O. Cox, Jr.
Software Productivity Consortium.
2214 RockHill Rd
Herndon, VA 22090
703-742-7219
cox@software.org

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/05/90)

> Has anyone in netland put a 2x20 Bernoulli Box on a 386 class machine?
> How fast can I expect to run it. Should I make sure that the machine has
> programable bus waits etc. to run with the XT vintage controller card?
> Does there exist a device driver for this device for either SCO or
> Interactive Unix ?

Not exactly. I've played with an even older model. The Bernoulli 10 MB
8 inch catridge box. That one comes with an old XT controller which
won't even work with an AT running at 10 MHz zero wait state. Worked
at 6 MHz zero wait state though.

These days, I play with SyQuest 44 MB catridge box. This uses standard
SCSI interface and have definitely worked in a 386 25 MHz. It is quite
a bit cheaper too ! I think about half the price you would pay for a
Bernoulli box. According to CORETEST, the SyQuest rates at about 29 ms
ave. seek time and 500 KBytes per sec transfer rate.

Interesting thing is whenever anyone talks about removable catridge in
any PC magazine, Bernoulli is mentioned ? And I hardly see SyQuest
advertised in any magazine at all. Wonder why ???

Have fun.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

morash@ug.cs.dal.ca (Dave Morash) (10/05/90)

In article <1681@software.software.org> cox@software.org (Guy Cox) writes:
>Has anyone in netland put a 2x20 Bernoulli Box on a 386 class machine?
>How fast can I expect to run it. Should I make sure that the machine has
>programable bus waits etc. to run with the XT vintage controller card?

I've worked with a 2x20 Bernoulli Box on a Compaq 386/33 with no problems
other than the box occasionally falls asleep. As for speed wellit seems
on par with an ST225, but thenI was using the Bernoulli to run SAS (which
has to be the most disk intensive thing I've ever seen!)
I don't know of any thing that would prevent you from just dropping in
the controller and start working (well you need to load the driver :)

Good luck on trying to find cartridges!

--
"Locked in a time warp of their very | morash@ug.cs.dal.ca
own Charged GBH are carrying on the  | morash%dalcsug%dalcs@watmath.uucp