[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Recommendations for a 300 Mbyte SCSI drive?

evil@arcturus.uucp (Wade Guthrie) (09/19/90)

Well, the subject pretty much says it. . .I'm looking for a 300 Mbyte
(probably more like 330 or 350) disk drive for my 386.  It must
be SCSI and it's gotta be fast (I'm expecting 15ms average access give
or take) cause I'm gonna be using UNIX.  I'm looking for something that
is very reliable and, of course, not too hard on the pocketbook.
Computer Shopper has lots of CDC (Seagate) Wrens on the order of $1500
to $1700, but I know other manufacturers have drives of this calibre.
How about Fuji or others?

Any suggestions?
--
Wade Guthrie (evil@arcturus.UUCP)    | "He gasped in terror at what sounded
Rockwell International; Anaheim, CA  | like a man trying to gargle while

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep18.220215.10423@arcturus.uucp> evil@arcturus.uucp (Wade Guthrie) writes:
>Well, the subject pretty much says it. . .I'm looking for a 300 Mbyte
>(probably more like 330 or 350) disk drive for my 386.  It must
>be SCSI and it's gotta be fast (I'm expecting 15ms average access give
>or take) cause I'm gonna be using UNIX.  I'm looking for something that
>is very reliable and, of course, not too hard on the pocketbook.
>Computer Shopper has lots of CDC (Seagate) Wrens on the order of $1500
>to $1700, but I know other manufacturers have drives of this calibre.
>How about Fuji or others?
>
>Any suggestions?

IMHO, I find CDC Wrens very reliable. I am using an Adaptec AHA5142B controller
anbd a Wren IV. I get about 15ms access, and > 1.3Mbytes/sec transfer rate off
the disk. > 3Mbytes/s from cache.

The newer Fuji's are OK too, but I am most familiar with the 2263SA which is
>600Mbytes, bigger (and more expensive) than you asked for.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

evil@arcturus.uucp (Wade Guthrie) (10/05/90)

First of all, thanks to everyone who answered (mostly as follows)
>To buy one of these [Wren IV] , call ICS (Integrated Component Supply)

**BUT**

I called ICS, and the lady there said that a) the offer was over
months ago and that b) they were not going to get any more hard
disks anymore EVER.  Sigh.  Unfortunately, even the best wholesale
price I could find was $1250.

So, anyone know of any good (inexpensive) 300 Meg SCSI disks?

Thanks again.