[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Physics of chip Failure

dank@eng.umd.edu (Daniel R. Kuespert) (10/06/90)

In article <48351@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>In <tim.655078682@ziggurat>, tim@ziggurat.gg.caltech.edu (Tim Kay) wrote:
>
>] this guy wants to offer a 386sx 16Mhz with a fast crystal installed
>] to yield 20Mhz (he says Norton SI is 21).  Is this a safe thing to do?
>
>| It is not safe.  While you might get lucky [...]
>
>> This is incorrect.  Typically, there is absolutely no difference between
>> the fast and slow parts that a manufacturer ships, *except* that the faster
>> parts happen to work at the faster speed.
>
>No, it was correct.  The word "typically" was a good choice.

While the dangers of pushing chips beyond their design speeds seems to
be well known, I've never been sure exactly _why_ they fail.  My
original post (the "While you might get lucky..." above) focused on
overheating.  I was always told that minor flaws in the conduction
channels provide a bit of extra resistance; these flaws were
negligible for lower speeds but caused additional Joule heating, chip
damage, and eventual failure at higher speeds.

Is this the only reason for chip failure?  One would also think that
signal dispersion would play a role---when you start putting the
pulses closer together, at some point the distinction between
different peaks is lost.  I'd imagine this could give you really weird
and intermittent errors if you were operating slightly beyond the
chip's limits.

--
Daniel R. Kuespert                   | Disclaimer:
Chemical Process Systems Lab         |

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (10/06/90)

In <1990Oct5.171736.13039@eng.umd.edu>, dank@eng.umd.edu (Daniel R. Kuespert) wrote:

> While the dangers of pushing chips beyond their design speeds seems to
> be well known, I've never been sure exactly _why_ they fail.  My
> original post (the "While you might get lucky..." above) focused on
> overheating. [...]

Heating slows down the signal paths in a chip because the resistance
is increased.

For PCs, the most important factor is likely to be that the signals
simply take X nanoseconds to traverse the logic in the chip and to be
driven on the pins.  It doesn't matter how fast the clock goes, it
still takes X ns to do the work.  Speeding up the clock makes it
possible to use a smaller X better, but it doesn't change X.

As a chip heats up, X usually becomes longer, which is why a 386 with
a "fast" crystal might work for a little bit and then fail hard.

I don't know if the most likely failures will be internal signal
paths, or external signal timing.  Probably, "depends"...
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789