[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ATI VGA Wonder configurations

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (10/06/90)

	Does anyone know just what configurations of mouse port/digital
monitor support are available (and current)?  ATI, on their BBS, has
a statement that all *real* VGA Wonder cards include a mouse.  They
point out that some vendors sell the ATI OEM product, "VGA1024" as
a VGA Wonder in violation of their policy.  This appears to be true, and
the VGA1024s they sell don't have either a mouse port or digital monitor
support.  Ok, so that explains the low price...  However, when I ask
how much more a real VGA Wonder will cost the response is that only
older versions of the card have digital monitor support and the included
BIOS is several revisions behind.  (Oh, and they cost ~$45 more...)
So, is it true that I would have to buy an out-of-date card to get
the extra features?

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@harvard.*

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (10/07/90)

In article <4359@husc6.harvard.edu> ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) writes:

>	Does anyone know just what configurations of mouse port/digital
>monitor support are available (and current)?  ATI, on their BBS, has
>a statement that all *real* VGA Wonder cards include a mouse.  They
>point out that some vendors sell the ATI OEM product, "VGA1024" as
>a VGA Wonder in violation of their policy.  This appears to be true, and
>the VGA1024s they sell don't have either a mouse port or digital monitor
>support.  Ok, so that explains the low price...  However, when I ask

I have one of those VGA1024s that was advertised as a VGA Wonder.  But it
DOES have a mouse and port, and the connector for digital monitors.
The hardware design is much different than a 'REAL' VGA Wonder, it only has
1 crystal while the real Wonders I have seen have 3.
As far as the software is concerned though, it appears it can't tell the
difference between them.  I use that ATI Wonder drives from CSHOW and the
Wonder 800x600x16 drivers for Windows and all is fine.

>how much more a real VGA Wonder will cost the response is that only
>older versions of the card have digital monitor support and the included
>BIOS is several revisions behind.  (Oh, and they cost ~$45 more...)
>So, is it true that I would have to buy an out-of-date card to get
>the extra features?

Pity.  I had heard ATI had a new revision of the Wonder out, I didn't know
they had dropped digital monitor support.  This is a re occuring problem
with ATI.  Their first versions of a product usually have a few quirks, their
middle versions are excellent, then the last revisions they start cheapening
things up.

I heard rumor when I was shopping for my ATI that some companies were taking
the Small Wonder and putting VGA Wonder BIOSes in them, and calling them
VGA Wonders, which they definetly aren't!  I talked to ATI about it and they
said as long as I ordered one with a mouse port, I would be OK.  Well it
turned out I got the VGA1024 instead of the VGA Wonder but all the ATI drivers
seem to be working with it so its no real big deal I guess.

Charles