[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PC-AT clone spontaneously reboots while running

waldman2@husc8.harvard.edu (Bruce Waldman) (10/06/90)

A problem recently developed in my 4-yr old AT clone, after I added
a second 40mb hard disk.  (I am not sure if this is related, however).
The machine spontaneously reboots while running a program, or even
if just left idling.  This happened to me twice when I was trying to
load a new software package yesterday, although as I said, it even
occurs if I leave the machine running idle, or as a dumb terminal.

Any suggestions?

Bruce Waldman, bw@harvarda.bitnet
               waldman2@husc4.harvard.edu
               ...!harvard!husc4!waldman2

waldman2@husc8.harvard.edu (Bruce Waldman) (10/06/90)

A problem recently developed in my 4-yr old AT clone, after I added
a second 40mb hard disk.  (I am not sure if this is related, however).
The machine spontaneously reboots while running a program, or even
if just left idling.  This happened to me twice when I was trying to
load a new software package yesterday, although as I said, it even
occurs if I leave the machine running idle, or as a dumb terminal.

Additional information: several people have suggested to me that
my power supply may be inadequate.  It is labelled *200 watt Taiwan*.
Should I try to disconnect the drive and see if the problem goes
away, or just put in a new power supply?  Thank you.

dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) (10/06/90)

In article <4354@husc6.harvard.edu>, waldman2@husc8.harvard.edu (Bruce Waldman) writes:
> A problem recently developed in my 4-yr old AT clone, after I added
> a second 40mb hard disk.  (I am not sure if this is related, however).
> The machine spontaneously reboots while running a program, or even
> if just left idling.  This happened to me twice when I was trying to
> load a new software package yesterday, although as I said, it even
> occurs if I leave the machine running idle, or as a dumb terminal.

Try running with your second hard disk powered down (unplugged).  If
that fixes it, then it indicates that your power supply is being
overloaded and is dropping the 'power-good' signal from time to
time.  Dropping this signal generally causes a motherboard reset.

If the trouble goes away when you disconnect the power connector
from your second disk drive, then you should replace your power
supply with one rated for more watts.

--
Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (10/07/90)

In article <4354@husc6.harvard.edu> waldman2@husc8.UUCP (Bruce Waldman) writes:
> A problem recently developed in my 4-yr old AT clone, after I added
> a second 40mb hard disk. The machine spontaneously reboots while running
> a program, or even if just left idling.

This sounds a lot like power supply problems.  You might not have
enough spare watts left over for the extra fixed disk.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john