[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Apricot Computers

ckloeden@f.adelaide.edu.au (Craig Kloeden) (10/05/90)

Has anyone had any experience dealing with Apricot computers?
Specifically, transfering information between an Apricot and
"normal" IBM PCs.

The machine we are looking at uses 3 1/2" disks that
can be read by a PC but when we write to these disks on
the PC they cannot be read properly by the Apricot.
(scrambles the directory)

Also, just how "compatable" are Apricots?

Any information greatly appreciated,

       Craig

--
 Craig Kloeden                        E-Mail: ckloeden@f.adelaide.edu.au
 NHMRC Road Accident Research Unit    Phone : +61 8 228 5885

stigvi@solan.unit.no (Stig Vidar Hovland) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct5.153520.1@f.adelaide.edu.au>, ckloeden@f.adelaide.edu.au (Craig Kloeden) writes:

|> Has anyone had any experience dealing with Apricot computers?
|> Specifically, transfering information between an Apricot and
|> "normal" IBM PCs.
|>
|> The machine we are looking at uses 3 1/2" disks that
|> can be read by a PC but when we write to these disks on
|> the PC they cannot be read properly by the Apricot.
|> (scrambles the directory)
|>
|> Also, just how "compatable" are Apricots?
|>
|> Any information greatly appreciated,
|>
|>        Craig
|>
|> --

Old Apricot computers have a completely different diskformat than on normal
IBM clones. I have solved this problem with uudecode/uuencode and a RS232 cable.
Unfortunately my computer (Apricot portable) does not have a hardware text screen.
All text output must be done with DOS or BIOS calls. I have tried a lot of
programs on the machine, but they all fails to work. Most programs write text
directly to screen memory instead of using BIOS calls.
If you find a good texteditor that works fine on Apricots, PLEASE give me a note.

Stig Vidar Hovland - stigvi@solan.unit.no

dan@blender.uucp (Dan Keizer) (10/07/90)

Well, I've used the Xi and the Qi's and they work fine ... although there
did seem to be a problem with reading IBM PS/2 disks for some strange
esoteric reason of which I can't remember.
Dan

haeb@ibmpcug.co.uk (Harry Broomhall) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct5.153520.1@f.adelaide.edu.au> ckloeden@f.adelaide.edu.au (Craig Kloeden) writes:

> Has anyone had any experience dealing with Apricot computers?
> Specifically, transfering information between an Apricot and
> "normal" IBM PCs.
>
> The machine we are looking at uses 3 1/2" disks that
> can be read by a PC but when we write to these disks on
> the PC they cannot be read properly by the Apricot.
> (scrambles the directory)
>
> Also, just how "compatable" are Apricots?

    First of all, which Apricots?  I assume you are referring to the
PC & Xi range.   If not please say!  :-)
    Later versions of the Bios on Apricots (I think V 2.7 and later) can
read PC disks (if of the 720Kb variety).  After V 3 (I think) they can also
write to these disks.   They cannot handle 1.44Mb disks at all.
    Disks which can be used on both machines can be formatted on an
Apricot if the formatter is V 1.5.4  and the /i switch is used.
    The reason for all this is that Apricot was well in advance of using
this format than IBM, and, as usual, the pioneer in any new venture
may not always do things in a 'standard' manner, as the 'standard' may
not exist!

    As for general compatability, only at the MS-DOS level.  i.e. if
an app only uses the MS-DOS functions, then it will work on an Apricot.
If it expects BIOS or hardware compatability, then it won't work.
    I have no problems with MSC 5.1 and PKZIP, for example, but
CodeView does not work.

    Please ask if the above is not clear, or you require more info.

    Regards,
       Harry.  (Who has an Xi-20 at his elbow!)

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not