[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Adding second hard drive to Sierra power supply

BKL100@psuvm.psu.edu (10/09/90)

I would like to add a secondary hard drive to my system, but I am unsure how to
 do it with my Sierra Baby AT 200 watt power supply.  Currently, I have a Seaga
te 251-1 hard drive and two floppies connected to an Everex model 346 controlle
r with MFM interface.  Each of these drives gets power from a four prong female
 connector coming out of the power supply with red, yellow, and black wires.  T
here is a fourth connector coming from the power supply with the same color wir
es, but it is much smaller in size than the other three.  How will this connect
or plug into a second hard drive?  Also, will an additional drive be connected
to the controller card or to a ribbon cable connector on the existing hard dri
ve?  Is it imperative that a second hard drive be MFM?

Brian Leader, bkl@psuvm.psu.edu

dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) (10/09/90)

In article <90281.193807BKL100@psuvm.psu.edu>, BKL100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> I would like to add a secondary hard drive to my system, but I am unsure how to
>  do it with my Sierra Baby AT 200 watt power supply.  Currently, I have a Seaga
> te 251-1 hard drive and two floppies connected to an Everex model 346 controlle
> r with MFM interface.  Each of these drives gets power from a four prong female
>  connector ...
> here is a fourth connector coming from the power supply with the same color wir
> es, but it is much smaller in size than the other three.  How will this connect

The smaller connector is for a 3.5" drive.  You should get one of
those 'Y' adaptors that allows you to connect one of your existing
full-size power connectors to the new drive along with an existing
drive.

Yes, both hard drives should be MFM, since that'w what your
controller expects.

--
Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave