[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] HD doesn't spin after power on ???

mleiber@hpwad.HP.COM (#Michael Leiber) (09/28/90)

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing a problem with my Seagate ST-251/1 harddisk.
Sometimes when I switch my computer on, the disk motor doesn't start to
spin. After power cycling the machine a few times, the motor suddenly
is willing to do it's job and starts turning. I allready checked the
cabling and reseated the controller card (a WD-1006 SR2). What I also
have meant to recognize in the case of the motor not turning is an idea
of this smell you got when try to cook those tiny HW pieces called
IC's, resistors and so on (maybe that smell only exists in my imagination,
but ... ;-).

Does anybody have an idea of what's going wrong here ? Any help in this
case is appreciated. thanx                                      michael

internet: mleiber@hpwadlk
phone:	  Germany 7243 602527
address:  Michael Leiber, Hewlett Packard, Waldbronn Analytic Division,
	  Hewlett Packard Str. 1, 7517 Waldbronn, West Germany

carl@p4tustin.UUCP (Carl W. Bergerson) (10/01/90)

In article <19860002@hpwad.HP.COM> mleiber@hpwad.HP.COM (#Michael Leiber) writes:

>Hi,
>
>I'm currently experiencing a problem with my Seagate ST-251/1 harddisk.
>Sometimes when I switch my computer on, the disk motor doesn't start to
>spin. After power cycling the machine a few times, the motor suddenly
>is willing to do it's job and starts turning.
>(stuff deleted)

You are experiencing a common problem with the ST251 and its RLL cousin
the ST277 called "stiction" in which the heads stick to the disk platter.

The only cure I know is to have the drive reconditioned by a qualified
technician. When I had this problem several months ago the reconditioning
consisted of replacing all the platters and cost me $165 for a ST277.

mleiber@hpwad.HP.COM (#Michael Leiber) (10/01/90)

Hi,

Thanks to all who responded. It finally came out that the cause of the
problem must be the so called "stiction", which seems to be well known
for Seagates drives (at least some mentioned it). At least for bunch
of drives, Seagate used a lubricant on the drive spindle which is too
heavy and causes the spindle to sometimes stick at all. The drive
motor then is not strong enough to unstick, so ... that's were you go.
Two responses said that the problem may be related to power supply,
but that's definitely not the problem with my drive.

All responses said that there is no easy way to get around that, but
here's a summary of what was proposed to do:

	1. repeateadly switch the power on/off. Thats what I've done
	   in the past (and what I should have to do in the future too :-();

	2. give the computer a push, sometimes this should help.

	3. try to relubricate the spindle. one recommended to clean the
	   spindle with alcohol and lubricate it with a low viscosity oil.
	   Didn't try this yet, but will do it if things get worser
	   (I don't know if the spindle itself is reachable from outside
	   the housing otherwise, hmmm ... I don't have a clean room
	   at home)

	4. some simply said that I should by a new drive. That's a fine
	   idea, and I will put my bank account number in the appendix,
	   so that they can transfer a certain amount of money on that ;->

Again, thanks to all replies,               michael

email:    mleiber@hpwadlk
phone:	  Germany 7243 602527
address:  Michael Leiber, Hewlett Packard, Waldbronn Analytic Division,
	  Hewlett Packard Str. 1, 7517 Waldbronn, West Germany

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (10/01/90)

We had a 30M Seagate drive do the same thing and finally ended up scrapping
it.  Someone (I forget who) said that this model had a problem with the
spindle bearing lubricant heating up and leaking down onto the platter where
the head would land.  When the lubricant cools, it causes the head to stick
to the platter.  I don't know how much (if any) of this is true.  All I know
for sure is that we lost a drive with the same symptoms.  Sorry :(

jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca (10/02/90)

In article <19860004@hpwad.HP.COM>, mleiber@hpwad.HP.COM (#Michael Leiber) writes:

> All responses said that there is no easy way to get around that, but
> here's a summary of what was proposed to do:
>
> 	1. repeateadly switch the power on/off. Thats what I've done
> 	   in the past (and what I should have to do in the future too :-();
>
> 	2. give the computer a push, sometimes this should help.
>
> 	3. try to relubricate the spindle. one recommended to clean the
> 	   spindle with alcohol and lubricate it with a low viscosity oil.
> 	   Didn't try this yet, but will do it if things get worser
> 	   (I don't know if the spindle itself is reachable from outside
> 	   the housing otherwise, hmmm ... I don't have a clean room
> 	   at home)
>
> 	4. some simply said that I should by a new drive. That's a fine
> 	   idea, and I will put my bank account number in the appendix,
> 	   so that they can transfer a certain amount of money on that ;->
>

> Again, thanks to all replies,               michael

         There's also #5 (my own after 1,2,& 3 didn't work out very
well and 4 was similarly out of the question (I'm saving for a '386,
not a replacement drive!)):

         5. Leave the machine on.

 In the Great Debate the on vs. off subject has engendered over the years I've
never seen one reference to the fact that leaving the machine on can
actually have a beneficial side effect.  Also, I've found that the
drive doesn't stick again for many hours (lubricant has to cool to
recongeal?), so short poweroffs are fine.

Good luck until better times...

John Garland

jgarland@mun                   bitnet
jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca       internet

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (10/03/90)

In <19860004@hpwad.HP.COM>, mleiber@hpwad.HP.COM (#Michael Leiber) wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded. It finally came out that the cause of the
> problem must be the so called "stiction", which seems to be well known
> for Seagates drives (at least some mentioned it). At least for bunch
> of drives, Seagate used a lubricant on the drive spindle which is too
> heavy and causes the spindle to sometimes stick at all. The drive
> motor then is not strong enough to unstick, so ...

I have seen several 150meg CDC ESDI drives "stick" like this.  Within
a few seconds of powering up the drive LED starts blinking and the
drive does nothing.  I take the drives out of the chassis and shake it
around the spindle axis.  Don't shake the drive back and forth: twist
so that the platter moves.  So far this has always worked.  Maybe your
drive's failure mode is similar.

PS. I still like the CDC 150meg ESDI drive: that's what I used in all
of my (DOS) development machines.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

jamesv@hplsla.HP.COM (James Vasil) (10/05/90)

>          5. Leave the machine on.

I recently had a very similar problem to the one being discussed here
(ST251-1).  In my case, the drive started failing occasionally, then
later would run ok but died if you rebooted, and finally just up and
died (drive not even recognized after power up!).

I went the "buy new drive" route (Mitsubishi, though :-) but may try
to revive my drive with one of the other methods if my last minute
incremental backup doesn't work (fingers are crossed!).

FYI, Seagate Technical Support (800-468-3472) told me I could get a
refurbished 251 for $170 (US only, I'd guess) with a whole 90-day
warrenty.

James

tomf@cms2.UUCP (Tom Fortner) (10/10/90)

#
[...]
#--

In all fairness, stiction is a characteristic of thin film technology and
the carbon coat lubricant that keeps the heads from wearing away the media,
not a Seagate (or any other manufacturer) problem. So if you buy a drive,
don't buy a thin film drive, and if you already have and it fails, it can
be converted by a good drive shop to the older media technology.
Tom

    Tom Fortner                        ** The greatest gift a man can offer
    Christian Medical & Dental Society ** his Maker is a repentant committed
    UUCP: cms2!tomf                    ** life and a disciplined, diligent
    INTERNET: tomf@cms2.lonestar.org   ** mind.