[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] RLL + Segate ST251-1

yoon@aludra.usc.edu (Dae-Kyun Yoon) (09/27/90)

I'v heard some bad story about RLL controller and Segate ST251-1
combination.  Could someone add more comments on this ?
Dae-kyun Yoon
dkyoon@priam.usc.edu, ..!uunet!usc!priam!dkyoon

john@karnak.uucp (John B. Meaders Jr.) (09/28/90)

In article <YOON.90Sep27002242@aludra.usc.edu> yoon@aludra.usc.edu (Dae-Kyun Yoon) writes:
>I'v heard some bad story about RLL controller and Segate ST251-1
>combination.  Could someone add more comments on this ?

Sure.  I have been running this combination for a couple of years.  No
problems.  I have two ST-251's running off an RLL controller.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.
510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA  23806

In article <YOON.90Sep27002242@aludra.usc.edu> yoon@aludra.usc.edu (Dae-Kyun Yoon) writes:
| I'v heard some bad story about RLL controller and Segate ST251-1
| combination.  Could someone add more comments on this ?

  I've been doing it for several years. I had some problems using an
Adaptek controller, but none using Western Digital. That may have been
one controller, but brands do make a diference.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (10/01/90)

I was agonizing earlier this year (summer) about upgrading my MFM/ST251-1
combination to RLL (via switching controller cards).I finally chickened
out & bought a WD100427x (RLL) controller & an ST277R (RLL) drive. I switched e
verything out & reloaded all my files on the 277. It works fine. Then, since
I had an extra bay & cables, I stuck the 251 back in and plugged it into
the RLL card as drive D:. It formatted, etc. ok and has run ok since (2+
months). Now I have 130 megs of 28-ns hd storage. According to Norton
speed specs, the two drives are near about identical in performance.
Bob M., PSU-Harrisbug.

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (10/02/90)

In article <90273.211910RFM@psuvm.psu.edu> RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>...bought a WD100427x (RLL) controller & an ST277R (RLL) drive. I switched e
>verything out & reloaded all my files on the 277. It works fine. Then, since
>I had an extra bay & cables, I stuck the 251 back in and plugged it into
>...the two drives are near about identical in performance.

They ought to be, being exactly the same drive and all.  Well, almost exactly,
except for one or two better quality components (perhaps..) on the 277R.

Congratulations.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

jzl@micasa.UUCP (Jack Z. Lupic) (10/02/90)

john@karnak.uucp (John B. Meaders Jr.) writes:

> In article <YOON.90Sep27002242@aludra.usc.edu> yoon@aludra.usc.edu (Dae-Kyun
> >I'v heard some bad story about RLL controller and Segate ST251-1
> >combination.  Could someone add more comments on this ?
>
> Sure.  I have been running this combination for a couple of years.  No
> problems.  I have two ST-251's running off an RLL controller.

I am also using an ST251-1 but as an MFM drive.What I have heard is that
these drives were "better" made up to a certain run/serial number but that
later runs were found to be unreliable for RLL.Any comments?

Jack Lupic

Scarborough,Ontario-CANADA

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (10/03/90)

>I'v heard some bad story about RLL controller and Segate ST251-1
>combination.  Could someone add more comments on this ?

Unless the 251-1 is certified for RLL it will probably work but there
is a slight chance that it will not work reliably. So do you feel
lucky?

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) (10/03/90)

From article <15090013@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, by dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low):
>>I'v heard some bad story about RLL controller and Segate ST251-1
>>combination.  Could someone add more comments on this ?
>
> Unless the 251-1 is certified for RLL it will probably work but there
> is a slight chance that it will not work reliably. So do you feel
> lucky?

I tried using an MFM drive with an Adaptec RLL controller some years back.
I would format the drive and it would work great for about a week, and
then I would start getting errors, like the data was fading out.

From what I have heard, RLL drives have a higher quality media on them than
the normal MFM drives, which I assume pertains to the type of magnetic film
they lay on the platters.

If you've got I combination that works, I would suggest making very frequent
backups and reformat runs.

- Jeff Shorey

In article <kLZDq3w163w@micasa.UUCP> jzl@micasa.UUCP (Jack Z. Lupic) writes:

| I am also using an ST251-1 but as an MFM drive.What I have heard is that
| these drives were "better" made up to a certain run/serial number but that
| later runs were found to be unreliable for RLL.Any comments?

  I've been using a few here and there for months, and I think they're
getting better. They seem dead solid with RLL, although they're not
certified for it. You can get a drive which won't work, but most do.

  9:59pm  up 36 days, 34 mins,  4 users,  load average: 1.12, 1.16, 1.00
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
as I said, pretty reliable.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

tomf@cms2.UUCP (Tom Fortner) (10/10/90)

In article <1105@cameron.egr.duke.edu# js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) writes:
#From article <15090013@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, by dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low):
#>>I'v heard some bad story about RLL controller and Segate ST251-1
#>>combination.  Could someone add more comments on this ?
#>
#> Unless the 251-1 is certified for RLL it will probably work but there
#> is a slight chance that it will not work reliably. So do you feel
#> lucky?
#>
#I tried using an MFM drive with an Adaptec RLL controller some years back.
#I would format the drive and it would work great for about a week, and
#then I would start getting errors, like the data was fading out.
#
#From what I have heard, RLL drives have a higher quality media on them than
#the normal MFM drives, which I assume pertains to the type of magnetic film
#they lay on the platters.
#
#If you've got I combination that works, I would suggest making very frequent
#backups and reformat runs.
#

ST-251-1 and ST-277-1 are basically the same drive. One (ST-277-1) is certified
for RLL format, and one is not (ST-251-1). But I have formatted most Seagate
drives to 26 sector RLL without incident. By the way, Micropolis drives that
are not certified for RLL also work very nicely on RLL. And ALWAYS! ALWAYS!
back up you data weekly, so your tech doesn't die of frustration.
Tom

    Tom Fortner                        ** The greatest gift a man can offer
    Christian Medical & Dental Society ** his Maker is a repentant committed
    UUCP: cms2!tomf                    ** life and a disciplined, diligent
    INTERNET: tomf@cms2.lonestar.org   ** mind.