[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Problem with WDXT-GEN2 plus controller card

lidl@eng.umd.edu (Kurt J. Lidl) (10/09/90)

I'm trying to help a friend upgrade thier original IBM-PC (model 5150!)
to be more than just a two-floppy system.  As susch, we got a
Segate 225 and a WDXT-GEN2 PLUS controller for the system, and a
larger power supply.  The power supply slipped in with no problems,
and the entire old system then ran fine.  Next step was to remove
one disk drive, change the board jumpers so that the PC only thinks it
has one floppy and test it again.  This also works fine.

Now the problem starts...  The WDXT controller (8-bit) has mondo number
of jumpers, but *no documentation*!  I know that the "normal" PC needs
to have the hard disk controller jumpered in as int 5, dma level 2,
but I'll be damned if I can figure this beastie out.

The jumpers are labeled J5, W17-W22 (one bank), W-25-W28 (one back)
and ther are some funky ones down near the bottom, J4.

If you know anything about this, please, please let me know!  Thank
you so very much for reading this.

							-Kurt
--
/* Kurt J. Lidl (lidl@eng.umd.edu) | Unix is the answer, but only if you */
/* UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!lidl    | phrase the question very carefully. */

dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct8.174736.13809@eng.umd.edu>, lidl@eng.umd.edu (Kurt J. Lidl) writes:
> Now the problem starts...  The WDXT controller (8-bit) has mondo number
> of jumpers, but *no documentation*!  I know that the "normal" PC needs
> to have the hard disk controller jumpered in as int 5, dma level 2,
> but I'll be damned if I can figure this beastie out.

Leave everything as the factory did.  Install the board, and connect
your hard disk.  Boot MS-DOS from diskette, and invoke debug.  Using
debug, execute the code in the WDXT-GEN rom, by typing:
g=c800:5

The rom-based configuration code will ask you about your hard disk
(heads, cylinders, etc) and will then low-level-format the drive,
and store the configuration parameters somewhere on the disk.  You
shouldn't need to adjust any jumpers, unless you're trying to run
two of them in the same XT chassis!

--
Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (10/10/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: Problem with WDXT-GEN2 plus controller card

In article <1990Oct8.174736.13809@eng.umd.edu> lidl@eng.umd.edu (Kurt J. Lidl) writes:
>I'm trying to help a friend upgrade thier original IBM-PC (model 5150!)
>to be more than just a two-floppy system.  As susch, we got a
>Segate 225 and a WDXT-GEN2 PLUS controller for the system, and a
>Now the problem starts...  The WDXT controller (8-bit) has mondo number
>of jumpers, but *no documentation*!  I know that the "normal" PC needs
>to have the hard disk controller jumpered in as int 5, dma level 2,
>but I'll be damned if I can figure this beastie out.
>The jumpers are labeled J5, W17-W22 (one bank), W-25-W28 (one back)
>and ther are some funky ones down near the bottom, J4.
>/* Kurt J. Lidl (lidl@eng.umd.edu) | Unix is the answer, but only if you */
>/* UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!lidl    | phrase the question very carefully. */

Kurt:

Let's see here;
1. Did you get the WDXT-GEN2 at a mail-order house as a "special"?
It does come with docs and it is P/N:  79-000446
Western Digital can be reached at (714) 863-0102
BBS Support:  (714) 756-8176

2. The "default" setting on the board will work fine for a ST225, that
is what it is designed for.

here are the default settings:

W17  out   W18  out    W19  out   W20 out  21mb  4heads  615cylinders

W21 out   W22 out   (controller 320-323)  Bios C800-C9FFF

W27  out     Selects IRQ5

P.S.  out means jumper NOT installed.

W25 & W26 are always  OUT
W28 allows the controller to operate with an XT computer when
the jumper is OUT.

To low level format the drive
run debug and at the DEBUG prompt (-)
Type: g=c800:5   <enter>
Normally Using Pre-Selected Configurations work fine for a ST225.

I hope this helps.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware