[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Defragging a disk via Save and Restore

heintze@fmcsse.enet.dec.com (Siegfried Heintze) (10/10/90)

Hmmm, I'm not sure what the appropriate news group for this query would be...

I see that the version of Norton Utilities that contains SD (speed disk) - a
defragger -
costs about $119.   Could I save some money by using FASTBACK to save my entire
disk,
delete everything and then restore from my backup on floppies?  I little
tedious, but I was
pleased to discover that I could restore 40mb in about 20 minutes with a single
1.2mb floppy
drive.

I suppose I should aquire Norton Utilities eventually, but I strapped for cash
currently.

                                                        Sieg

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (10/11/90)

In article <15947@shlump.nac.dec.com> heintze@fmcsse.enet.dec.com (Siegfried Heintze) writes:

>Hmmm, I'm not sure what the appropriate news group for this query would be...
>
>I see that the version of Norton Utilities that contains SD (speed disk) - a
>defragger -
>costs about $119.   Could I save some money by using FASTBACK to save my entire
>disk,
>delete everything and then restore from my backup on floppies?  I little
>tedious, but I was
>pleased to discover that I could restore 40mb in about 20 minutes with a single
>1.2mb floppy
>drive.
>
>I suppose I should aquire Norton Utilities eventually, but I strapped for cash
>currently.

I have used the FREE defragger available via anonmous ftp from
Simtel [26.2.0.74]:

        PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>REFORM16.ARC

This program was written by Jos Wenmacker of the Netherlands.
It did a fine job of defragging both my Seagate ST138R and Miniscribe 3425
hard drives running 32Mb RLL. Each 32Mb drive took 20 minutes on my 12 Mhz
286 machine.

        The price is certainly right.

Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/11/90)

In article <15947@shlump.nac.dec.com> heintze@fmcsse.enet.dec.com (Siegfried Heintze) writes:
>I see that the version of Norton Utilities that contains SD (speed disk) - a
>defragger -
>costs about $119.   Could I save some money by using FASTBACK to save my entire
>disk,
>delete everything and then restore from my backup on floppies?

It won't do as good a job because the directories will be spread across the
surface, and will tend to be fragmented as well.

(One alternative to Norton Utilities is PCTools Deluxe which has a much
faster defragmenter, backup/restore almost as good as FASTBACK, disk caching,
disk utilities, file viewers etc all for less than Norton Utilities)

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply