[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 386 with 286 pinout

ganter@urz.unibas.ch (10/03/90)

Hello Netlanders,
recently I read a short advertisement in a newspaper, that Intel develops
a special 386 with 286 pinout. That would allow AT users to exchange the old
286 with that 386special.
Now some questions:
-Is that true ?
-If yes, does it have internal cache? That would allow to use it theoetically
on faster clock speed (with a special turbo-socket). 10 MHz is quite slow
-Whats the price for that nice upgrade-processor ?

Thanks for any pointer

Robert

IO91472@MAINE.BITNET (10/10/90)

    I also would like information on a 386 with 286 pinouts.  I have
been looking for something like that for a long time now.  If anyone
has any information on this rumor could you send it to me too?

miquels@solist.htsa.aha.nl (The Solist Gamekeeper) (10/11/90)

In article <90282.195329IO91472@MAINE.BITNET > IO91472@MAINE.BITNET writes:

 >    I also would like information on a 386 with 286 pinouts.  I have
 >been looking for something like that for a long time now.  If anyone
 >has any information on this rumor could you send it to me too?

 Me too ! (better though, post it here...)

lexw@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Lex Wassenberg) (10/12/90)

The April 13, 1989 issue of EDN had a design idea on page 212 how to
replace a 286 with a 386SX plus some other logic. The "other logic"
consists of three 74LS373 buffers (gee, is LS logic really fast enough?)
one 74F04 inverter ,one 16R6-12 PAL, and a 20k pull-up resistor.
I guess you could make a small plug-in print if you're a good
"do-it-yourself-er".
The author of the idea is Al Weidner from VLSI Technology, Tempe, AZ.
(I have the article right here in front of me)
--
     _ _
    / U |         Lex Wassenberg, Philips TDS, Apeldoorn, the Netherlands

jrv@sdimax2.mitre.org (VanZandt) (10/12/90)

In article <90282.195329IO91472@MAINE.BITNET> IO91472@MAINE.BITNET writes:

>    I also would like information on a 386 with 286 pinouts.  I have

How about a 486 with 386 pinouts?  I understand it would be twice as fast
at the same clock rate.  It would seem to have a big market.

                             - Jim Van Zandt