[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Maxtor XT-2190 harddisk with RLL?

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (10/08/90)

Does anyone use a Maxtor XT-2190 harddisk with an RLL controller?
Normally, it is a MFM disk with 15 heads and 1224 cylinders.
I could get it cheap but already have a RLL controller (WD 1006 SR2)
with a ST-4096 (also MFM but works flawlessly) and want to add it as
second hd drive.
I will try it with the RLL controller anyway but wanted to know if
someone already uses this combination.

Thanks in advance
Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (10/09/90)

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes...

>Does anyone use a Maxtor XT-2190 harddisk with an RLL controller?

I do with no problems at all.  Maxtor do not certify the 2190 as an RLL drive
but it uses plated media which generally means that it will be OK for RLL.
Mine has been in use for about 18 months now without failure using a WD
controller.

As you've already got the controller go for it - it's the cheapest extra 80MB
you'll ever get!

| David Wales (VK2KWD) Sydney, Australia | Internet: wales@gidday.enet.dec.com |
|                                        | FIDOnet:  3:712/517 (My Other Half) |
|  "Only 37 years 'till retirement!"     | UUCP:   decwrl!gidday.enet!wales    |
|                                        |                                     |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and       | Voice:  (61) 2 457-8734 (H)         |
|  mine only!                            |         (61) 2 561-7334 (W)         |

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (10/10/90)

In article <15888@shlump.nac.dec.com> wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:
>rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes...
(that was me)
>Does anyone use a Maxtor XT-2190 harddisk with an RLL controller?
>
>As you've already got the controller go for it - it's the cheapest extra 80MB
>you'll ever get!

I formatted the disk and it works for to days now, lets see how long it
will do so, I think when it runs for about two weeks with no errors,
then it is ok.

But another question. The disk has 1224 cylinders. Currently I can use
only 1024 of them because I have to rely on standard PC formatting and
partitioning software. I initialized it with the controller's BIOS, but
it does not provide for more than 1024 cylinders or am I wrong? At
least, there is no predefined type with more than 1024 cylinders. I use
OS/2 and DOS with Windows and cannot use Ontrack Diskmanager, for
example, with OS/2 and Windows 3.0. I thought then that it could be
good to create a Ontrack DM partition on the extra 200 cylinders and
"mount" it when needed as extra temp space for plain DOS. But the only
DM I have is that which came with my Seagate 4096 disk and that one is
fixed to Seagate disk types. The I tried a friend's SpeedStore. This
software seems to know disks with more than 1024 cylinders. It even
knows the Maxtor XT-2190 disk directly. Because of the RLL controller I
defined a use-type with 1224/15/26/no-precomp but SpeedStore formatted
only cylinders 0-1024. Is there any way to format and use the extra 200
cylinders?

Thanks in advance
Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (10/12/90)

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes...

>I formatted the disk and it works for to days now, lets see how long it
>will do so, I think when it runs for about two weeks with no errors,
>then it is ok.

Good to hear that you had some success.

> [various ideas and questions about >1024 cylinders deleted]

If you can't use third party partitioning software because of OS/2 etc then I
think you're stuck with only 1024 cylinders because I don't think Speedstore or
Disk Manager can be used just for the extra cylinders beyond 1023.  You said
that you couldn't use DM because of Windows 3.0.  This is NOT correct.  It is
the cache software (Smartdrive) that comes with windows that doesn't like DM.
If you remove smartdrv from config.sys then Windows will work fine with DM and
your XT2190 with all 1224 cylinders - at least it does on my system.

| David Wales (VK2KWD) Sydney, Australia | Internet: wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com |
|                                        | FIDOnet:  3:712/517 (My Other Half) |
|  "Only 37 years 'till retirement!"     | UUCP:   decwrl!lrcsnl.enet!wales    |