[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PC sound digitizing

RJM103@psuvm.psu.edu (Bob Mentzer) (10/09/90)

I am looking to buy a card that will allow me to do digital sound sampling
on a PC.  I do not need a MIDI port or any of that great game sound stuff.
Just some professional digitizing hardware for sampling and playback from
5 to about 50 KHz rate.  It would be nice to be able to sample to memory
or disk, so longer samples could be done.  Simple editing features on the
sound wave would be nice.

Oh yes, also a reasonable price would be good.

Any ideas, please reply with company name/address/phone number, etc. and
any info about the product you know.

Thanks in advance --

     - Bob Mentzer

dmk@cbnewsi.att.com (daniel.m.kuster..jr) (10/10/90)

Greetings all,

I'm currently looking for an SVGA monitor
to go with an ATI VGA Wonder 512k video card.
I want to run Windows 3.0 in 800x600 resolution.
I would like the capability of running in 1024x768,
but I probably won't use it initially.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good performing,
reliable SVGA monitor?  I've been considering the following:

	Goldstar 1460

	Seiko 1440

	Samsung (????)

If anyone has any suggestions or comments I would really
appreciate hearing them.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Kuster
dmk@lcuxlf.ATT.COM

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/11/90)

Sound Blaster card ... Around $150-$160. You get both a recording
card (of course you have to supply the microphone) and a sound
card for playing games (Adlib compatible). In stereo, I think.
Will also do MIDI if you buy the optional MIDI box. But the MIDI
interface on this one is non-standard.

This is available in a lot of mail order houses. I have one and used
it exclusively for playing games.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (10/13/90)

In article <36690027@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

>Sound Blaster card ... Around $150-$160. You get both a recording
>card (of course you have to supply the microphone) and a sound
>card for playing games (Adlib compatible). In stereo, I think.
                                            ^^^^^^^^^
Nope.  Two speakers, yes, but Adlib mode is still Mono.

The two C/MS chips will add stereo capability along with another 12
voices or so, but don't sound as pretty.

>Will also do MIDI if you buy the optional MIDI box. But the MIDI
>interface on this one is non-standard.

Also, the digitizing inputs can only sample at up to 14KHz or so.
Not quite frequent enough to satisfy the demans of the original post.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (10/13/90)

In article <4655@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:

>Also, the digitizing inputs can only sample at up to 14KHz or so.
>Not quite frequent enough to satisfy the demans of the original post.

Speaking of digitizing stuff:  Anyone have any good "sounds" they want
to share?  We could uuencode the stuff and mail it around.

Terry

--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw