[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VGA via DB25 into Mitsubishi AUM-1371A monitor?y

n65j@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (10/14/90)

In article <1990Oct12.043342.12581@cimcor.mn.org>, dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
> Can I use a VGA card to drive a Mitsubishi AUM-1371A? If so,
> how should I wire the cable?

Yes this monitor will work with a VGA.  I invested about $10 in buying a
premade cable from an outfit that advertises in
Computer Shopper.  I don't remember the name, but they usually have a multi-
page ad that is full of supplies like diskette cases and general accessories.
The part number was something like "MITSU-VGA".  EMail me if you want
me to dig for a name.  I'll exhume a Computer Shopper if necessary.

> Also, do you have any idea what sort of performance I can expect?
> Will analog VGA provide a better picture than TTL input of EGA?
> Can it handle 800 x 600 or is 640 x 480 the max? Is it likely to be
> damaged if I try a resolution higher than it can handle?
> I am currently using this monitor's RGB TTL input for EGA.
>
> Thanks much for any help.
> Dick Schlotfeldt       dick@cimcor.mn.org
> St. Paul, MN

Analog VGA gives better choice of colors.  If you're only using the normal
16 of 64 EGA colors, analog doesn't gain you much.  VGA uses a 9x16 character
cell instead of EGA's 8x14, so you get a small increase in text mode legibility.
The 640x480 graphics mode is similarly denser than EGA's 640x350.  I switched
from EGA to VGA on this monitor and found it an improvement in graphics but
not text modes, which EGA already handled well.

The Orchid card you have can do a lot of higher resolution graphics modes and
a few additional text modes, all of which should work with this monitor in
non-interlace mode except the 1024x768 resolutions, which you'll have to set
to employ interlacing.  (This may use a jumper on the card or may use
software.) The monitor's bandwidth is far too low to handle the
noninterlaced signal at this resolution.  The 800x600 modes in the card should
work okay non-interlaced, even though this exceeds the monitor's specs.  I
used an earlier Orchid card at 800x600 with no trouble.  Non-interlaced will
flicker some, but you'll find the monitor too small to use anything over the
800x600 resolution anyway.  Also note that you'll be fiddling with the
horizontal and vertical sizing controls when you switch screen modes.  I
recently "graduated" to a NEC 3D for use with a Swan VGA card much like your
Orchid, and the NEC monitor's automatic size adjustments is a lifesaver.

I expect that the Mitsu/Orchid pair will make you happy if you're into
small-screen graphics.  Was a nice monitor when I used it for a couple of
years.

- Steve Pacenka