[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Low-level format without distroying data?

dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu (10/11/90)

Is it possible to low-level format a harddrive
without lossing data? I seem to have heard that
it's possible. How would one do it if so?

Thanks
Joe
dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu

bstone@convex.com (Barry Stone) (10/11/90)

A commercial program called SpinRite does it quite handily.  It costs
about $40 most places.  Recommended.

ariel@seer.UUCP (Catherine Hampton) (10/14/90)

In article <5739@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu writes:

>Is it possible to low-level format a harddrive
>without lossing data? I seem to have heard that
>it's possible. How would one do it if so?

Three programs that will low-level most hard disks without destroying
data are:

		Spinrite, by Gibson Research
 		Optune, by Gazelle Systems
		The Norton Utilities, Release 5.0

Of these three, I use and recommend Optune because it also has a fine,
extremely fast disk defragger (defrags and packs my 100 meg drive in
under four minutes.  Takes Norton's SD about fifty to do the same thing.)
Optune and Spinrite also both have intensive bit-pattern testing to flush
out bad spots on your hard disk long before CHKDKS would have caught
them.

If you're interested, e-mail me and I can provide addresses and phone
numbers for any or all of these companies.

Cathy
Catherine A. Hampton                  BITNET: hampton@reed.BITNET
CIS: 71601,3130                      Fidonet: Cathy H. @ 1:125/32
GEnie: C.HAMPTON3     Internet: hampton@reed.EDU / ariel@seer.COM