[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] RE : Low-level format of hard disk

sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au (10/09/90)

If the machine is an AT, the disk will have been formatted by the
manufacturer before shipping. It is not recommended that you re-format
a hard disk in an AY (quite difficult too...)

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (10/10/90)

In article <3915.2711b5f6@cc.curtin.edu.au>, sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au says:

>If the machine is an AT, the disk will have been formatted by the
>manufacturer before shipping. It is not recommended that you re-format
>a hard disk in an AY (quite difficult too...)

I disagree. Formatting a drive is quite easy on an AT. I recommend it
periodically, infact. It may recliam some "bad" sectors.
I low-level my drive often(1 to 2 times a year).
[of course a tape drive aids me in this task]
----
Mark Solsman
The Pennsylvania State University - Worthington Campus, Scranton, Pa.
Bitnet   : MHS108 at PSUVM
Internet : MHS108 at PSUVM.PSU.EDU

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (10/10/90)

In article <90282.214529MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:

>In article <3915.2711b5f6@cc.curtin.edu.au>, sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au says:
>>
>>If the machine is an AT, the disk will have been formatted by the
>>manufacturer before shipping. It is not recommended that you re-format
>>a hard disk in an AY (quite difficult too...)
>
>I disagree. Formatting a drive is quite easy on an AT. I recommend it
>periodically, infact. It may recliam some "bad" sectors.
>I low-level my drive often(1 to 2 times a year).
>[of course a tape drive aids me in this task]

    A drive should also be low-level formatted if its orientation is changed,
(e.g. from desk to upright).

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (10/11/90)

In article <3915.2711b5f6@cc.curtin.edu.au> sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:

> If the machine is an AT, the disk will have been formatted by the
> manufacturer before shipping. It is not recommended that you re-format
> a hard disk in an AY (quite difficult too...)

As most netters know this is not true!  Yes most HD are formatted by the
manufacturer (some by dealers) before shipping, but it is possible to format
(low-level or DOS format) a drive.  And yes most AT interfaced IDE drives do
not require a LL but almost all ST506 interfaced drives can be LL either by
a controller BIOS (Adaptecs...) or by LL programs (Spin Rite, Disk Manager...).
Disclaimer: My company knows not what I say (or do).

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com

In article <3915.2711b5f6@cc.curtin.edu.au> sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:

| If the machine is an AT, the disk will have been formatted by the
| manufacturer before shipping. It is not recommended that you re-format
| a hard disk in an AY (quite difficult too...)

  If the controller has a recent boot ROM, it will have LL format in the
ROM. Look in location c000:5, d000:5, or e000:5 for a jmp and code at
the destination. If it's a WD controller you can use the wdfmt program
from the WD BBS. It was also posted to cbip a few months ago.

  If you have access to the IBM advanced diagnostics that will do it,
too.

  A simple and easy process, I don't know why you think it's not
recommended. You should back up the disk first, though.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/14/90)

Well ! Don't know about you guys, but I've low level formatted every hard disk I've used. Which range from MFM (Seagate, Miniscribe),
ESDI (Micropolis) to SCSI (CAST, SyQuest). So, what's the big deal ?

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>