[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] perstor drive controler

drezac@dcsc.dla.mil (Duane L. Rezac) (10/11/90)

Hello:

has anyone had any experience with the Perstor  ps180-16fn hard disk
controler card? I am looking for any experience/comments on this product.

Thanks in advance...

Duane L. Rezac

--
Verse of the Hour:
It is better to trust in the Lord that to put confidence in man.

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (10/12/90)

In article <931@dcsc.dla.mil> drezac@dcsc.dla.mil (Duane L. Rezac) writes:

>has anyone had any experience with the Perstor  ps180-16fn hard disk
>controler card? I am looking for any experience/comments on this product.

Yes.  I have one.  It works reliably for me.  No problems with any software,
except for low-level disk formatters.  Low level formatting can ONLY be done
with the supplied formatting software.

Also, this controller appears to have no track buffering, so most machines
(with 8Mhz AT bus, regardless of CPU speed) can only achieve 3:1 interleave.
If your machine runs the expansion bus faster, then 2:1 might be possible.

This is not as bad as it sounds, since more data is on every track,
giving a tolerable data transfer rate of 317KB/sec instead of the usual
450KB or so for 1:1 MFM.  Thus, "effective interleave" is about 1.6:1 .

As for capacity increase, ignore the "90%" claim and simply calculate it:

	MFM = 17 sectors/track,  ADRT = 31 sectors/track.
	Capacity = (31 / 17) = 182% that of MFM = 82% increase.

I used it with a Seagate 251-1, but found that the Seagate had too many
bad sectors for my liking (14 from factory, about 10 more with Perstor).

It works fine with my Miniscribe 3650 (no bad sectors) and a Priam drive
I have (2 factory bad sectors).  Perstor claims it should not work with my
Priam drive, and they are partially correct:  it will not boot from that drive.
But then.. priam is weird anyway (even spinrite doesn't like them!).
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/14/90)

drezac@dcsc.dla.mil (Duane L. Rezac) writes:

>has anyone had any experience with the Perstor  ps180-16fn hard disk
>controler card? I am looking for any experience/comments on this product.

If you value your data - stay away from the Perstor products -
a better investment would be another drive.

not only that - but the data transfer rate is not as fast as with
a good 1:1 RLL controller - which is at least approved by the folks
who make the drives (Seagate, Maxtor - none of the companies who
make drives support the use of the Perstor controllers)..

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

In article <931@dcsc.dla.mil> drezac@dcsc.dla.mil (Duane L. Rezac) writes:

| has anyone had any experience with the Perstor  ps180-16fn hard disk
| controler card? I am looking for any experience/comments on this product.

  A friend of mine has been using it for about four months now, and he
has been *very* happy with it as a DOS controller. I don't know what the
situation would be if he were running unix.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX