[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Any experience with ST277-R and WD 1006XXX

baji@mozart.Berkeley.EDU (Balanjaninath Edupuganty) (10/17/90)

Has anyone used this combination of Seagate 65MB RLL drive and WD controller.
I can't remeber the letter codes.
Also is this combination faster/better than a Maxtor 40MB IDE?

Any thing you have to share will be appreciated. Thanks.

readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) (10/17/90)

In article <> baji@mozart.Berkeley.EDU (Balanjaninath Edupuganty) writes:
>Has anyone used this combination of Seagate 65MB RLL drive and WD controller.
>I can't remeber the letter codes.
>Also is this combination faster/better than a Maxtor 40MB IDE?
>
>Any thing you have to share will be appreciated. Thanks.

I am curently using exactly this combination in a "homebrew" machine
that I assembled last May.  The controller in question is the
WD-1006-VS-R-2.

I have had zero problems with the combination. It's fairly fast, and
so far completely reliable.  Only one warning, and a suggestion:  when
you go to format the drive, the DEBUG address of the format routine is
at CC00:0005 instead of the normal C800:0005...That kinda threw me for
a loop when I was first trying to set up the system.

The suggestion:  throw away that repulsive "On-Track" software they
ship with the drive to avoid the 32MB partition limit.  The stuff is
brain-dead.  Go get yourself MS-DOS 4.01 or use the multi-partition
mode in 3.3 and live with it.  The "On-Track" (use that phrase loosely!)
software slows down the system incredibly!

--
Dave Read                 | read@physics.utexas.edu | #include <cutepicture.h>
UT-Austin Nuclear Physics | read@lampf.lanl.gov     | #define flame /dev/null