[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Hard Disk Problems/Advice Wanted

sankar@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Sriram Sankar) (10/18/90)

My hard disk suddenly stopped working.  When I power on the system,
it starts spinning, then I hear the noice of the head moving up
and down a few times and then it just goes quite (if continues
spinning).  I tried the disk on another controller and also took it
to Frys Electronics to test it out.  They suggest burying the disk
and getting a new one.  The disk in question is a Seagate 4096.
I've had the disk for only 1.5 years now.  I thought Seagate made
better products than this.  Is there anything I can do to get this
disk running again?

In case I do have to buy a new disk, which would you suggest?  I'm
looking for something with 80Meg or more capacity.  Which company
is reliable and which format is best, etc.  I've read a few of the
messages on the newsgroup, but if any of you can give me specific
suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  When I spend $600 again, I want
to be sure I've something more reliable.

Please send replies to sankar@neon.stanford.edu.

Thanks,

Sriram.

ESR@SLACVM.BITNET (Ed Russell) (10/18/90)