[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Ethernet for SCO Xenix 386

so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan So) (10/18/90)

Hi, I need to purchase an Ethernet card for a research project to
link a 386 AT clone (normal AI bus, or is that called ISA) running
SCO Xenix with existing Sun stations.  I know very very little about
hardware and would like to know:

   1. Can this be done? (i.e. link SCO Xenix with Sun OS 4.1 & NFS)

   2. Which Ethernet card to buy? (Can somebody suggest a few companies
      that make such Ethernet hardware?

   3. Approximately how much is the cost?

Thanks a lot for your attentions.

Bryan So

gargulak@mozart.convex.com (Tom Gargulak) (10/18/90)

In article <11523@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan So) writes:
> Hi, I need to purchase an Ethernet card for a research project to
> link a 386 AT clone (normal AI bus, or is that called ISA) running
> SCO Xenix with existing Sun stations.  I know very very little about
> hardware and would like to know:
>
>    1. Can this be done? (i.e. link SCO Xenix with Sun OS 4.1 & NFS)

You bet!  TCP/IP knows no O/S.

>    2. Which Ethernet card to buy? (Can somebody suggest a few companies
>       that make such Ethernet hardware?

I think the one I used was 3Com.  (I'm a software guy - I don't remember
junk like this :-)  Anyways, just to show it works, I got a shareware
version of TELNET for the PC, then connected to the Sun.  The TELNET program
can be configured for various boards.

>    3. Approximately how much is the cost?

Well, I guess there are (2) things you need.

1) A board.  I'm not sure.  I would *guess* $200 tops.

2) A TCP/IP software package which drives the board.  Believe me, you don't
want to write this stuff, just make the calls.  You probably can get
shareware for free.  Check out that PC SIG book which lists the 7000 or so
shareware packages.  BTW, we bought a software package for a 680x0 based
machine.  We used the PC just to make sure stuff worked and we could
connect to various platforms.  I heard the source is available for Telnet,
but I just used the executable.

BTW:  I *strongly* recommend a book by Douglas Commer.
TCP/IP was in the title.  I got it at home.  An *excellent* book.  I knew
nothing about Ether and TCP when I started and within a day or two I was
doing a lot.

Good Luck!
-Tom