[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SCSI Board Info Request

mhorne@ka7axd.WV.TEK.COM (Mike Horne) (10/04/90)

I've got a couple of SCSI hard drives that I'd like to install in my PC.
I'm looking for SCSI controller recommendations, in particular:

	- I need a 16-bit SCSI controller that will be fast.

	- I need the corresponding SCSI driver software (I would assume that
	  this would come with the board).  I would also like to find a
	  driver that will allow me to do system backups to a SCSI streaming
	  tape drive.

An Adaptec card has been recommended to me (I don't know the model number),
but I'm also interested in others.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Horne
mhorne@ka7axd.wv.tek.com
mhorne%ka7axd.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net
...tektronix!mhorne%ka7axd.wv.tek.com

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/08/90)

mhorne@ka7axd.WV.TEK.COM (Mike Horne) writes:

>I've got a couple of SCSI hard drives that I'd like to install in my PC.
>I'm looking for SCSI controller recommendations, in particular:

>	- I need a 16-bit SCSI controller that will be fast.

>	- I need the corresponding SCSI driver software (I would assume that
>	  this would come with the board).  I would also like to find a
>	  driver that will allow me to do system backups to a SCSI streaming
>	  tape drive.

>An Adaptec card has been recommended to me (I don't know the model number),
>but I'm also interested in others.

The best SCSI controller available for AT bus machines is the
Adaptec 1542B.  By best - the 1542 yields the fastest throughput
under 386 Unix (Interactive) and DOS, and with the public domain
support utilities to re-program the devices - one can really make
the 1542 shine as compared against the other controllers on the
market.  Several folks with the WD 1007 FAST controllers have reported
problems with a lack of support - and slower throughput..

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct07.173315.6532@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
=The best SCSI controller available for AT bus machines is the
=Adaptec 1542B.  By best - the 1542 yields the fastest throughput
=under 386 Unix (Interactive) and DOS, and with the public domain
=support utilities to re-program the devices - one can really make
=the 1542 shine as compared against the other controllers on the
=market.  Several folks with the WD 1007 FAST controllers have reported
=problems with a lack of support - and slower throughput..

What's available to measure the throughput, Larry?

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) (10/09/90)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

>mhorne@ka7axd.WV.TEK.COM (Mike Horne) writes:

>>I've got a couple of SCSI hard drives that I'd like to install in my PC.
>>I'm looking for SCSI controller recommendations, in particular:

>>	- I need a 16-bit SCSI controller that will be fast.

>>	- I need the corresponding SCSI driver software (I would assume that
>>	  this would come with the board).  I would also like to find a
>>	  driver that will allow me to do system backups to a SCSI streaming
>>	  tape drive.

>>An Adaptec card has been recommended to me (I don't know the model number),
>>but I'm also interested in others.

>The best SCSI controller available for AT bus machines is the
>Adaptec 1542B.  By best - the 1542 yields the fastest throughput
>under 386 Unix (Interactive) and DOS, and with the public domain
>support utilities to re-program the devices - one can really make
>the 1542 shine as compared against the other controllers on the
>market.  Several folks with the WD 1007 FAST controllers have reported
>problems with a lack of support - and slower throughput..

I'd be careful about calling it the "best".  It may be "best for the money"
but there are (IMO) better controllers available, but for more money.  For
example, the PSI Hyper-Store controller.  (There may be others that are
even better than it, but I don't know of them.) This controller has several
features that are rather nice.  For example: the controller has a generic
part and then small (4" x 4") media adapter(s) mounted on the end: it can
have up to 7 media adapters at once, with various combinations for
different types of disks.  For example, you could install it with one
SCSI media adapter, one ESDI, and one RLL, and then use all three types
of disks in your machine with only one controller.  If you stack 7
SCSI adapters, the one controller can connect 49 SCSI devices.  Two years
from now when the world decides SCSI-2 (or whatever) is the way to go, instead
of buying a whole new controller and throwing away your old disk, or burning
2 slots for 2 controllers, on the PSI you can just add a SCSI-2 adapter.
(You will have to make sure you have a short card next to this one, but
who doesn't have at least one short ports card or mouse card?) The Hyperstore
also has up to 4MB of memory on the controller for doing caching- not
that big a deal in UNIX, but a big win in DOS.  (Virtually all the
benchmark programs report back a 0.4 ms (yes, 4/10th, not 4) access times
because they never use up the whole cache.
--
Flint Pellett, Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, IL  61874     (217) 352-1165

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/11/90)

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>=The best SCSI controller available for AT bus machines is the
>=Adaptec 1542B.  By best - the 1542 yields the fastest throughput
>=under 386 Unix (Interactive) and DOS, and with the public domain
>=support utilities to re-program the devices - one can really make
>=the 1542 shine as compared against the other controllers on the
>=market.  Several folks with the WD 1007 FAST controllers have reported
>=problems with a lack of support - and slower throughput..

>What's available to measure the throughput, Larry?

we have several benchmarks available on nstar, one of which is
the byte unix benchmarks from 6-8 months ago..

iverson@xstor.UUCP (Tim Iverson) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct07.173315.6532@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>The best SCSI controller available for AT bus machines is the
>Adaptec 1542B.  By best - the 1542 yields the fastest throughput
>under 386 Unix (Interactive) and DOS,

True for Unix, very false for DOS.  The non-intelligent boards are much
faster than the 154xB series on a single-threaded OS (e.g. DOS) due to the
high overhead on each command: about 2ms per command for the 1542B.  There
are also fewer integration problems since you don't have to worry about the
1st party DMA getting thrown for a loop by the 386 memory managers.

Of course, as bad as the 1542 is for DOS, it's just about the best you can
find for Unix - almost all support it with a native driver (for some it's
the only SCSI board you can boot from), and it provides some very helpful
features to boost performance under Unix.  There are boards that do much
better, but they do not have the widespread acceptance that the 1542 has.

>Several folks with the WD 1007 FAST controllers have reported
>problems with a lack of support - and slower throughput..

The WD7000 FASST board performs about the same as the 1542 under DOS; I
don't know how well it does under Unix - I've never seen a driver for it.
I last used one about 6 months ago, when I had to try three different boards
before finding just one that worked and had to do the integration with a
non-wd board because their own software (by Columbia Data) wouldn't work
correctly with the 7000.

> Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN USA
> {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}

- Tim Iverson
  uunet!xstor!iverson

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/14/90)

iverson@xstor.UUCP (Tim Iverson) writes:

>True for Unix, very false for DOS.  The non-intelligent boards are much
>faster than the 154xB series on a single-threaded OS (e.g. DOS) due to the
>high overhead on each command: about 2ms per command for the 1542B.  There
>are also fewer integration problems since you don't have to worry about the
>1st party DMA getting thrown for a loop by the 386 memory managers.

I had a seagate ST01 here, and it coretested at 700kb/sec - while the
1542 always comes it about 960kb/sec (these values are of course with
no cache) under PC-DOS 3.3

iverson@xstor.UUCP (Tim Iverson) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct13.231715.1548@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I had a seagate ST01 here, and it coretested at 700kb/sec - while the
>1542 always comes it about 960kb/sec (these values are of course with
>no cache) under PC-DOS 3.3

Well, you've chosen the slowest, most buggy of the dumb boards to compare
it to; why don't you try something better (SDC800, Future Domain, etc.).  If
the 1542 turns in 960kb/sec, then a good dumb board should yield 1.1MB/s.

BTW - I use a 1542B myself, but then I switch between DOS and Unix often, so
the extra cost of the board is justified.

> Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN USA
> {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}

- Tim Iverson
  uunet!xstor!iverson

jdg@neptune.sisd.kodak.com (Jeff Gortatowsky CUST) (10/16/90)

I use a 1542A (don't know what the B rev gets you) and I get a CORETEST
(v2.92) of 1.2mb/sec on my 386AT (320mb Imprimis Wren).  I run DOS
3.3.   But lack of an OS/2 driver hurts me.  Also some tools which
play with DMA don't work (for me anyways) on a high speed setting. Tools
like FASTBACK and PC-TOOL PCBACKUP have to be set to medium speed.
SCSI drives seem smart enough to make most "disk optimizers"
redundant.  All in all like SCSI.  If only I had an OS/2 driver...
--
Jeff Gortatowsky-Eastman Kodak Company     | UUCP  : ..uunet!sisd!jdg
Systems Integration & Software Development | Voice : (716)-726-0084 (EST/EDT)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct13.231715.1548@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>iverson@xstor.UUCP (Tim Iverson) writes:
>
>>True for Unix, very false for DOS.  The non-intelligent boards are much
>>faster than the 154xB series on a single-threaded OS (e.g. DOS) due to the
>>high overhead on each command: about 2ms per command for the 1542B.  There
>>are also fewer integration problems since you don't have to worry about the
>>1st party DMA getting thrown for a loop by the 386 memory managers.
>
>I had a seagate ST01 here, and it coretested at 700kb/sec - while the
>1542 always comes it about 960kb/sec (these values are of course with
>no cache) under PC-DOS 3.3

You will find that the AHA1542 will outperform on transfer rate, but because of
the intelligent "sector mapping" it does, there tends to be a little overhead
when it comes to average access and track to track seek times.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

iverson@xstor.UUCP (Tim Iverson) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct16.223855.4793@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

>You will find that the AHA1542 will outperform on transfer rate, but because of
>the intelligent "sector mapping" it does, [...]

The AHA1542 does not do any "intelligent" sector mapping.  Assuming that
you're referring to the fact that it reports an artificial geometry in order
to satisfy utilities that require one, there is no overhead to speak of
converting the 64head/32sector geometry into a SCSI LBA.

	e.g.  lba = (cyl << 11) | (hd << 5) | (sec - 1)

Not only is overhead on this calculation negligible, but almost all SCSI HAs
must perform the exact same calculation, so when comparing performance, this
factor is a wash - both do it, and both take about the same time to do so.

>[...] there tends to be a little overhead
>when it comes to average access and track to track seek times.

This difference between published times and coretest times *is* due to the
geometry translation, but not due to calculation overhead.  Because of the
translation, there is usually more than one real cylinder for each
artificial cylinder, thus coretest thinks it's seeking 1 cylinder when it
may be seeking farther.  This does not affect comparisons of coretest
results obtained for the same or similar HAs.

The per command overhead on the AHA 154x host adapters is due mostly to
command queueing.  The 154x HA is designed to perform well in multi-threaded
situations.  As a consequence, it does not perform as well as possible in
single-threaded situations.  Putting a 1542 in a DOS only machine is like
buying a Ferrari for your grandmother - it can go 200+, but she'll never
drive it faster than 35.

>Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen@sj.ate.slb.com
>Schlumberger Technologies       UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen

- Tim Iverson
  uunet!xstor!iverson

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/19/90)

iverson@xstor.UUCP (Tim Iverson) writes:

>Well, you've chosen the slowest, most buggy of the dumb boards to compare
>it to; why don't you try something better (SDC800, Future Domain, etc.).  If
>the 1542 turns in 960kb/sec, then a good dumb board should yield 1.1MB/s.

the ST01 was the only other dumb board I had..