[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] hard disk add-on

wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom) (10/19/90)

My computer is all of 2 months old, and I find myself short of
hard disk space.  I am considering getting a hard-drive-on-a -card,
such as the "Plus Hardcard".  Has anyone had experience with this
type of drive?  Also, what is the difference between the
"Hardcard" and the "Hardcard II"?

Thanks for any input.

gargulak@mozart.convex.com (Tom Gargulak) (10/19/90)

Perstor (or is it Prestor) uses a proprietry tecnology to
double the capacity of certain drives AND improve performance.  For example,
they can get 78MB out of a 42MB drive.  Call 800 directory assistance for
their number.  They support a lot of drives and all you need is their
controller.  I understand that the throughput of MFM goes from 5 to 5.5
on a write and from 5 to 9 on a read.

-Tom

wbonner@eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (10/19/90)

In article <50654@unix.cis.pitt.edu> wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom) writes:
>hard disk space.  I am considering getting a hard-drive-on-a -card,
>such as the "Plus Hardcard".  Has anyone had experience with this
>type of drive?  Also, what is the difference between the
>"Hardcard" and the "Hardcard II"?

I've used a Plus Hardcard 40 in my XT for about 3 years now.  I bought
it because it would completely fit in one slot of my machine, and I would
not need to remove any floppy drives to install it.

The only problems I've had with it there was once when I was installing
some other hardware in the machine, the card stopped functioning.  The card
was just over a year old at the time, and the tech I talked with on the phone
agreed to replace the card under warranty.

Overall I've been pleased with the card for that application.
I now have an AT as well though, and tried to put the card into the AT as
a second drive.  Everything works fine under DOS, it is viewed as drive D.

I tried to boot OS/2 though, and was not able to access the drive.  I talked
with PLus about this, and they said that there was no way to make the card
work under OS/2.  I expect the same would go of Unix, or any non/DOS
operating system.

He did offer to let me upgrade tp a plus HardCard II which would be able
to be recognized unde OS/2.

The hardcard II has a 16 bit slot requirement, and so is designed for ATs
only.  It comes in both 40 and 80 meg sizes.

Hope this helps.

Wim.