[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Tape backup software needed

grossman@bbn.com (Martin Grossman) (10/16/90)

I've gotten a tape backup system (hardware only) for an IBM/XT.
This was working in another XT at work sometime in the past and now
the software has been lost.

All I have is the 3/4 length daughter board, the cable, and the tape drive.
I'm missing all the software.

Does anyone have the software online?  If not then I'll have to resort to
	calling the manufature.
Does anyone know where "ALLOY" resides?
Does anyone have any experience with this product.

Here's the info I do have:

PC board marked with
	"ALLOY Computer products, INC. (C) 1985"
	"MADE IN USA"
	"FTFA 100905-04 REV A."

PC board has a stamp saying
	"REV A1"
	"FTFA S/N 4351"

I Chip has a stamp saying
	"905 M17  1.0"

TAPE DRIVE sais
	"ALLOY"
	"Product FT-60"
	"Model NO. A5622"
	"Serial NO. 4168"

TAPE DRIVE uses DC 300 XL/P 3M data cartridge tapes.

				email responce to
				grossman@bbn.com
				(617) 873-3650

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (10/17/90)

<
<Does anyone have the software online?  If not then I'll have to resort to
<	calling the manufature.
<
<PC board marked with
<	"ALLOY Computer products, INC. (C) 1985"
<	"MADE IN USA"
<	"FTFA 100905-04 REV A."

If you really get stuck, borrow/buy pc-tools 6.0 and see whether or not
it supports your particular tape drive in PCBACKUP.EXE.

My drive is the cheapie Colorado Memory Systems one ($249),
and PCBACKUP is MUCH better than the software that came with it.

Not that the supplied software was all that bad.. lots of good options,
but lousy error recovery!
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

wbonner@eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (10/18/90)

In article <60089@bbn.BBN.COM> grossman@bbn.com (Martin Grossman) writes:
>Does anyone know where "ALLOY" resides?
>				email responce to
>				grossman@bbn.com
>				(617) 873-3650

I believe that Alloy has a bulletin board sevice it the following set of
numbers:
508-875-4229
508-624-5286
508-875-4403
These numbers should be in chicago, and I believe that they are correct,
but the area code may be off because Chicago split the area codes about
a year ago, and I've not needed to call since.

gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct18.043312.27634@eecs.wsu.edu>, wbonner@eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes...
>I believe that Alloy has a bulletin board sevice it the following set of
>numbers:
>508-875-4229
>508-624-5286
>508-875-4403
>These numbers should be in chicago, and I believe that they are correct,
>but the area code may be off because Chicago split the area codes about
>a year ago, and I've not needed to call since.

	I know these numbers are wrong (at least the area code has to be)
as that area code is used in the Boston area (617 was split about two years
ago into 617 and 508). 508 is for the part of eastern Mass outside of rt 128
(good enough for a first approximation).

	/s/	Bob Gettys