[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Problem getting floppy drive to work with DTC 3280A SCSI card

ted@polyof.poly.edu (Theodore S. Kapela, staff) (10/17/90)

I have a Data Technology Corporation 3280A SCSI host adapter w/floppy
controller.  I have been trying to use it with my 5 1/4" and 3 1/2"
drives (both high density).  When I first boot the machine and try to
read a floppy, everything seems OK.  BUT, when I change the floppy and
try to do a dir or chkdsk,  The drive does not really read the floppy.
I turns the drive and access light on, but does not appear to read
anything.  I get the same info (eg: directory listing) that I just had
for the floppy that was in the drive last.  ALSO, I can not swith to
another density media after first reading a disk.  If I read a high
density disk, that is all I can use the drive for.  If I read a
standard (double) density disk, that is all I can read afterwards.

If I try to format a disk, though, I can format either density just
fine at any time.  I can then only read that density afterwards.

I tried using DOS's driver.sys to make another "virtual" drive.
I used a: for the high density 5 1/4" drive and e: for the double
density 5 1/4" drive.  They are both physically the same drive,
but I told DOS that their parameters are different.  Format recognizes
the parameters and formats the disk appropriate for the drive, but the
rest of DOS doesn't care.  I can read either density in either drive,
but then I have the same problem as above, only for both drives (if I
read a 1.2M disk in a:, that is all I can read in i: also.)

The problem does not pertain strictly to DOS.  It happens in applications
also (possibly because they use DOS calls for disk access).

The drives worked fine with another controller.  I had no problems
then.

If anybody else has had this problem or has any clue how to remedy the
situation, I would greatly appreciate a reply.

    Theodore S. Kapela			(516) 755-4299 [Voice, Days]
    ted@polyof.poly.edu			(516) 473-7746 [FAX]
	   "Another brilliant mind corrupted by education"

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.165757.4274@polyof.poly.edu> ted@polyof.poly.edu (Theodore S. Kapela, staff) writes:
>I have a Data Technology Corporation 3280A SCSI host adapter w/floppy
>controller.  I have been trying to use it with my 5 1/4" and 3 1/2"
>drives (both high density).  When I first boot the machine and try to
>read a floppy, everything seems OK.  BUT, when I change the floppy and
>try to do a dir or chkdsk,  The drive does not really read the floppy.
>I turns the drive and access light on, but does not appear to read
>anything.  I get the same info (eg: directory listing) that I just had
>for the floppy that was in the drive last.  ALSO, I can not swith to
>another density media after first reading a disk.  If I read a high
>density disk, that is all I can use the drive for.  If I read a
>standard (double) density disk, that is all I can read afterwards.

The AT class machines introduced a tehcnique using a signal line on the floppy
drive to indicate that the drive door was opened. This line is supposed to be
a clue to DOS to re-read the disk since it may have been changed. Simple
commands like "dir" cahce the information in memory, and don't re-read the disk
for another "dir" operation if the drive door hasn't been opened.

It is possible that either the drive itself or the controller do not support
this feature.

>If I try to format a disk, though, I can format either density just
>fine at any time.  I can then only read that density afterwards.
>
>I tried using DOS's driver.sys to make another "virtual" drive.
>I used a: for the high density 5 1/4" drive and e: for the double
>density 5 1/4" drive.  They are both physically the same drive,
>but I told DOS that their parameters are different.  Format recognizes
>the parameters and formats the disk appropriate for the drive, but the
>rest of DOS doesn't care.  I can read either density in either drive,
>but then I have the same problem as above, only for both drives (if I
>read a 1.2M disk in a:, that is all I can read in i: also.)
>
>The problem does not pertain strictly to DOS.  It happens in applications
>also (possibly because they use DOS calls for disk access).
>
>The drives worked fine with another controller.  I had no problems
>then.
>
>If anybody else has had this problem or has any clue how to remedy the
>situation, I would greatly appreciate a reply.

Either it is a bad controller, or it simply doesn't support the door opened
feature. My suggestion is to get an Adaptec AHA1542 controller instead. :-|

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

roger@marque.mu.edu (Roger Abrahams) (10/21/90)

I missed the original posting on this (not unusual).  I also have this card
and have both 5-14 and 3-1/2 drives on it.

First of all, you can always try a ^C before doing a directory on the
drive, this should tell dos to reset the drive change flag.  This is
actually a hold over from CPM, as this is how you told CPM that a
new disk was inserted.

The basic problem is probably that SW1 switch 7 is set wrong.  This is
the "dual-speed supported switch".  The card comes from the factory
with this option disabled.  SW1 is the switch directly below the
DTC403 floppy controller.  The switch numbers are 1 at the top to
10 at the bottom.  Simply reverse #7.

There is also another problem, particularly with some 3-1/2 drives as
they have a jumper for the drive change signal.  This is to provide
compatability with older PC's as opposed to AT's.  This could
ALSO be set wrong.

Since I have this exact set-up, I can assure you it works properly.
There is no need to change to another controller.  Mine works quite
well, providing a transfer rate in excess of 800K on a 20mhz 386
machine.

						- Roger