[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] HELP Shugart 712 10meg. jump

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (10/21/90)

In article <271b459b-341.1comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware-1@vpnet.chi.il.us> cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Crash Gordon) writes:
>>10 jumpers OR have a phone number for Shugart. Thanks!
>
>There is no phone number for Shugart; they were absorbed by Seagate.
>(Actually, I think they _became_ Seagate.  Both companies were founded by
>the same guy whose name is Shugart.)

   I think you'll find that Shugart was bought up by Xerox about a hundred
years ago.  Then when some competition came into the marketplace and Shugart
couldn't make monolopy styple profits, they pulled the plug.  After several
years nowhere, it was sold off to the japanese (can you say where did toshiba
drives come from ?).
   I also think you'll find that Seagate was taken over by the/some major
investors.  They felt that the entreprenurial spirit of the founder was
keeping them from making enouh money to recoup their investment.  The ended
up (I believe) carving out a very successfull niche at the low end of the
spectrum.  They typically sell adaquately fast but comparatively inexpensive
and fairly reliable stuff.

Not that ANY of this concerns anything the original poster wanted to know, but
the first followup did a admiral job to that end.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (10/22/90)

Close, but no cigar.  Shugart Associates, started by Alan Shugart et al, was
absorbed by Xerox.  Shugart Technology was later started by Alan Shugart to
build hard disk drives.  At the insistence of Xerox (I assume) the name was
changed to Seagate Technology who still exists.  There is now an outfit named
Shugart 'something' which is located in Texas somewhere.  Not sure what they
make.

UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com