[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] DIP switches in original PC

Robert.Berry@samba.acs.unc.edu (Robert Berry) (10/20/90)

I've been working with an old IBM PC (the original--2 floppies, monochrome
monitor, 256K memory, etc.) at work and I want to make sure the DIP
switches on the motherboard are set correctly.  I have no hardware
documentation, so can anyone tell me what the switches on each of the
two switch blocks on the original PC motherboard designate?  The only
ones I'm sure of are 5 and 6 on switch block 1, which set the video
adapter type.  I have no idea what the second switch block is for at all.

--

robin@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robin Amano) (10/23/90)

In article <1370@beguine.UUCP> Robert.Berry@samba.acs.unc.edu (Robert Berry) writes:
>I've been working with an old IBM PC (the original--2 floppies, monochrome
>monitor, 256K memory, etc.) at work and I want to make sure the DIP
>switches on the motherboard are set correctly.  I have no hardware
>documentation, so can anyone tell me what the switches on each of the
>two switch blocks on the original PC motherboard designate?  The only
>ones I'm sure of are 5 and 6 on switch block 1, which set the video
>adapter type.  I have no idea what the second switch block is for at all.

When upgrading to 640K look at the back of case should either have the letter
A or B in a circle.  If B you can upgrade, if A you need to have ROM replaced.

SW1                                             ON          OFF

Number of 5 1/4" Drives
    0                                           1,7,8
    1                                           7,8         1
    2                                           8           1,7

Math Coprocessor Installed                      2
Math Coprocessor Not Installed                              2

RAM Memory Installed on System Board
    64K - 256K System Board                                 3,4
    16K - 64K System Board
      16K                                       3,4
      32K                                       4           3
      48K                                       3           4
      64K                                                   3,4

Monitor Adapter Installed
      None                                      5,6
      Monochrome Monitor/Printer Adapter                    5,6
      Color Graphics Monitor Adapter            6           5
          (40 X 25 Color)
      Color Graphics Monitor Adapter            5           6
          (80 X 25 Color)

SW2                                             ON          OFF

Note:  Switches 6, 7, and 8 are always OFF.

16K - 64K System Board
      16K - 64K (on Main Board)                 1,2,3,4,5
      96K   					2,3,4,5     1
      128K					1,3,4,5     2
      160K					3,4,5       1,2
      192K					1,2,4,5     3
      224K					2,4,5	    1,3
      320K					1,2,3,5     4
      352K					2,3,5	    1,4
      384K					1,3,5       2,4
      416K					3,5         1,2,4
      448K					1,2,5       3,4
      480K					2,5	    1,3,4
      512K					1,5         2,3,4
      544K					5	    1,2,3,4
      576K					1,2,3,4     5
      608K					2,3,4	    1,5
      640K 					1,3,4       2,5

64K - 256K System Board
      64K					1,2,3,4,5
      128K					same as above

Hope this helps.

Robin Amano            |  Internet: robin@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
UHCC                   |
2565 The Mall          |  Honolulu, HI  96822